Buying New Cab Over, Advice Please

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LandscapemanFL, Jul 15, 2009.

1. LandscapemanFL

LandscapemanFL LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new truck. I have decided to get a COE. I figured it would meet and exceed my business needs, but I have yet to decide if I would get a dump and haul my trailer or a dove tail. I need some advice on which manufacturer has the better Price, Reliability, and Comfort. I have looked at Isuzu, UD, Mitsu Fuso, Ford and International. Really appreciate any advice on make/model and setup. Thank You

2. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Hard to go wrong with the Isuzu, well-proven trucks. Stick with diesel if at all possible.

I would have a hard time trusting the 4.5L V6 diesel in the International/Ford veichle.

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we have both a mitfuso and a ford, hard to go wrong with either.

4. zak406

zak406 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mitubishi fuso we have one at work and its a beats takes a pounding every day and keeps on running (i work construction)

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would stay away from the LCF Fords the cabs are really small and I don't think I would trust the V-6 powerstroke. I would also stay away from the Sterling cabovers. A mechanic that was working with my brother has one and the truck is at its max gvw and its grossly underpowered. My brother went for a ride with the guy and the truck would barely do 37mph on flat land.

I would probably go with GMC/Isuzu cabover well proven and most reliable on the market. Many of them around here the cab rotted off before the truck died. Fenders rusted off the doors all rusted to crap. Many of the trucks seen some grossly over weight loads.

They were never good at towing but what ever you can throw on its flatdeck or cubebox it would carry it.

6. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

I have an Isuzu npr cab over with a solid side dump body it's a diesel. Truck is great! We use it to pull a large trailer all day everyday and have the capacity for a lot of our weekly pruning on full service accounts. We also have a larger roll off dumpster truck (in my avatar) for larger clean up and install work but the isuzu gets most of the day to day work and we love the truck.

7. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are gonna haul mulch and sod and the likes go with the NPR with dump and just pull the trailer. I see alot of setups on a daily basis and the guys with the cabover/dump seem to be the most practical around here. If I had an extra $15k to buy a used dump truck, I would run that setup in a heartbeat.

If you do alot of trimming and stuff the dump would come in really handy.

Most guys around here run the isuzus or mitsubishis, few fords which I wouldn't touch and the Ud's are just stupid expensive. That's my 2 cents....
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ZTR_Diesel

ZTR_Diesel LawnSite Senior Member

Gravel Rat - we agree for once! :):waving:

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with an Isuzu and get the largest GVW truck you could afford. This is one truck you'll have for a while!

FWIW, The UD CS1800 models got some kind of JD power award back in 2004 or 2006.

10. esnipe8

esnipe8 LawnSite Senior Member

We have ac problems with our Isuzu. Very underpowered for central cali heat....107 today! Blows just enough to feel the cool, but not hard enough to cool you down.