Buying New hedge trimmer. Need advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JohnyNCa, Dec 5, 2000.

1. JohnyNCa

JohnyNCa LawnSite Member

Im looking to buy a new gas hedge trimmer, 30" but am not sure on which make to get. Im looking at around $300 price range...considering shindaiwai, kawasaki, tanaka, etc. Would like dual blades as well. Thanks

2. moonarrow

moonarrow LawnSite Member

johnny I used to use echoe but bought a shindiawa 2 seasons ago and I like it a lot better no problems seems to have more power and lighter I really like it . good luck on your purchase

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'm also thinking about new hedge clippers. I have an Echo now, and don't like it. I'm thinking about getting a Stihl brand.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have Stihl with the dual blades. I like them. But they are fairly heavy. This is due to blade length and motor. They do a good job.

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo 2100 SB (split-boom). For about $250 I got the power unit and weedeater. For $200 I got the hedge trimmer extension. For $100 I got the edger. It sure is nice to stand on the ground and trim 10' hollies. Its fairly rare that I have to carry around a step ladder to trim anything now. The 21cc engine is plenty for all of the attachments except the edger which you can tell really needs more power.

6. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

JOHNNY,

I LOOKED AT STIHL AND ECHO. THOUGHT THE ECHO LOOKED CHEAP, NOT VERY HEAVY DUTY. STIHL LOOKED GOOD, BUT THEY WERE VERY HEAVY. I BOUGHT A HUSQVARNA 225H60 W/24" DOUBLE BLADED BAR. IT'S LIGHT WEIGHT AND HAS POWER TO SPARE. PRICE WAS $379.00. REMEMBER, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. I BOUGHT A CHEAP WEED-EATER BRAND MY FIRST YEAR IN BUSINESS. NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS. QUIT ON MY FIRST JOB. PAID $129.00 FOR THEM. NOT FOR COMMERCIAL USE. THE STIHL WAS ABOUT THE SAME PRICE, $369-389 PRICE RANGE. I LEARNED THE HARD WAY ABOUT TRYING TO SAVE A BUCK ON EQUIPMENT, THE HOMEOWNER STUFF WILL NOT HOLD UP. I HAD THEM PAID FOR AFTER ONLY MY SECOND JOB.
    SO MY ADVICE IS SPEND A FEW EXTRA UP FRONT AND YOU WILL BE MUCH BETTER OFF.
    GOOD LUCK,
    Mowman