Buying new mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ddeciechi, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ddeciechi

ddeciechi LawnSite Member
    from mi

I am a residential user cutting 5 acres and want to purchase my last mower. Thinking around $8000.00. Have looked at JD757 60" cut and Exmark. Any thoughts?

2. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

If you've seen Exmark's commercial like the slogan says for residential cutters, A Lazer Z will be the last mower you will buy. But yeah an Exmark is great for large accerage homeowners. you will be impressed with the durability, quality of cut, and the stripe of the mower.

3. ddeciechi

ddeciechi LawnSite Member
    from mi

The main reason i want a commericial mower is to reduce time. I currently spend alot of time seeping up the grass cuttings from my riding mower. With a good zero turn, is the bagger needed?

4. TheLawnBarber

For five acres I would discharge. Maybe bag the areas around your home because I can't stand to walk barefoot on the discharged grass clippings, just my opinion.

5. TheLawnBarber

Also the discharge chute stoots the grass clipping over 5-6 feet so it gives a good cut and great appearance.

6. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Go With a JD 757.Cut Quality Is Excellent(even in wet grass).:weightlifter:

7. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

As a Toro man, I would say to look at the 400 series Z-turns from Toro.

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I know several companies in the area that when they replaced there mowers this year they went with the JD 757. They were not impressed but the cut of the new Exmark deck. Ive seen the cut of the 757 in heavy dew conditions and where my scag was clumping some the 757 was discharging clean, we were both cutting fescue lawns

wayne

9. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that Exmark Is doing some changes to the triton deck for 07...It may turn out like the old Ultracut decks...And they have been liked very well by many Grass Guys In the past.

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark AS series which has the Ultracut would be my choice. Haven't used the Deere or Toro but have heard good thing about them. The AS series is the entry level Lazer Z which doesn't have as many bells and whistles but actually has a better deck in my opinion than the other Lazers. I had one and turned out to be a great mower.