1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying new mowers... does it really make sense?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Does it really pencil out? I run two TT and have one as a back-up. I probably put 700 hours a year on each of the two primary mowers. I can buy a Tiger w/ 250-500 hours for 5k at the right time... I can sell it a year later for 4.5k-5k w/ 700 more hours. Down time seems to be the same. I never even break a belt on my Tigers till 1300 hours. How can I justify spending 10k on a mower when the down time is the same? Especially if you have a back-up mower guaranteeing no down time. Dealer service is the same either way... buy it from them or not.

My buddy bought an 04 Tiger w. 250 hours for 5k. I have bought an 04 Tiger w. 450 hours for 4.5k. I am about to buy another '06 Tiger w. 550 hours for $4850. It just makes sense to have no depreciation.
  2. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

If you can catch a good deal on what you WANT, that's the way to go. I wanted a 66" Super Z and there aren't many on the used market so I went with new. I did shop around and got it way under msrp.
  3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

Be patriotic and stimulate the economy :usflag::). I would rather buy new and take good care of it so it lasts me 2K or 3K+ hours while performing at optimal performance.
  4. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

if you say you clock around 700 hrs on both turf tigers, buy new ones.

Those hrs are ok so think maybe youre miscalcuated youre hrs or too cheap.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you're only using them for a few hundred hours then you're not taking advantage of the tax laws. You are claiming recovery when you sell them aren't you?
  6. Lawnworks

from usa

Why would I buy new? Yes I am cheap... I am addicted to the black numbers.
  7. Lawnworks

from usa

I don't know if it is a good idea to keep a mower past 1500-2000 hours. Sounds like too much downtime. I would rather flip them and never lose any money.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I never realized how many people come and go in this business until I joined this web site. That being said used is a god idea. This year Ive bought a Classen sod cutter 1100 with 7 yes 7 hours, retail 3800. Blue bire aerator like new 1000, retail 2400. Giant vac brush mower very good condition 1000 retail 3800 Brown bed edger hadt to spend 130$ to fix it for total 1130 now good cond. retail 2400. Classen over seeder good cond. 600$ retail 1200. I think I could actually sell some of this stuff if I had to and make a little money.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I guess it's Yin and Yang, 50-50.
    I think they both have advantages and disadvantages, so if the price is right a good buy is still just that.

As for dealer support I think you're right, but don't let on you know this when you go there LOL
  10. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 52" Turf Tiger last year for 4500 dollars with 180 hrs on it. I also bought a 2007 36" Scag hydro walk behind with 6 hours on it for $2000. I mowed with the Tiger all year and put more than 300 hrs on it. I used the walk-behind about 4 hrs. total. I had a guy come look at the walk and bought it and my Tiger. I made some money and was without a mower. So I purchased a 61" Tiger this spring. I have been looking for a deal on another 52" Tiger or another bigger walk-behind. I just about bought a new walk-behind when I purchased my Tiger but didn't. With the way some of my lawns are drying up already I am glad I didn't. I would buy used in a heartbeat but its got to be a "racehorse" deal not just a good deal. This way you cover your but if something goes wrong with it.