Buying new skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by f16fxr, Jun 6, 2003.

1. f16fxr

f16fxr LawnSite Member

First time user.

First, this is a great site, and there is a lot of info here.

I'm leaning toward a track model just for the smoothness of ride when I spend a lot of time in the cab. I've rented an ASV RC-50 and I really liked it. Just wondering how the others match up or if putting tracks on a wheeled skid steer would be close to the same.

Thanks
    :help:

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have run the T190 and a Takeuchi 130. The 130 was a far better running machine than the Bobcat. The Bobcat was loud especially when the machine was pushed over relief which was often. The controls on the Bobcat are not servo assisted and required much more effort to operate. The 130 had none of the problems the Bobcat had. I can see where the tracks have value in some situations (I have rented them to grade basement floors). Out where I am at however I can't justify the added cost of the tracks up front and the increased cost per hour over a tired machine (it never rains here and it is very rocky). Being from Minnesota however, that would probably be different for you. I have never run an ASV. However in talking to different dealers in this area they don't bring much trade value. The upkeep on the running gear is expensive and there is little demand in this area for the machines (so I am told). Good luck.

3. JohnatAllBrite

JohnatAllBrite LawnSite Member

A personal opinion: I have a Kubota L-35 TLB, & a 2000 Bobcat 773 w/heated cab...Outside of using the bobact for snow removal (which it is great for) i HATE THE MACHINE! Gets stuck easy, horrible on hilly terrain. I have only 100 hours on it at the present time, try using it at home from time to time, but always end up cursing it & climbing back on the kubota. They are great for tight places, but..... I think I would have rather gotten an articulated rubber tire loader in the 8,ooo lb class.

4. JohnatAllBrite

JohnatAllBrite LawnSite Member

A personal opinion: I have a Kubota L-35 TLB, & a 2000 Bobcat 773 w/heated cab...Outside of using the bobact for snow removal (which it is great for) i HATE THE MACHINE! Gets stuck easy, horrible on hilly terrain. I have only 100 hours on it at the present time, try using it at home from time to time, but always end up cursing it & climbing back on the kubota. They are great for tight places, but..... I think I would have rather gotten an articulated rubber tire loader in the 8,ooo lb class. At least with the L-35 you can also use the loader & the back hoe at the same time.

5. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

With all due respect, I wouldn't look twice at the ASV machines. The under carriage is rather "whimpy" and can and probably will de-rail it'self on a hill w/a full bucket of dirt riding sideways. The ASV has a very nice ride as a CaT does but that "cheap" feeling starts to gravitate after some seat time in the ASV. I have run all out there and the one I like is the Gehl CTL series. It is made by Takahashi and brother to Mustang as well. The track design is supurb and has vertical path lift to boot. All machines come w/hand servo controls.

6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We Run a Mustang 2120 i believe. Runs great, no problems, gets the job done. Great work horse.

7. Dan's lawn care

Dan's lawn care LawnSite Member

My Dad has 95 case 1854c and i love it. Plus he just bout a 01 case 75xt I hate it. the only thing i like is that it has power and it is a dsl sucker

8. clamcooker

clamcooker LawnSite Member

I would go with the RC-50. Undercarriages don't seem weak to me, asv supplies all of Caterpillars's undercarriages and they don't seem to be a company that would buy weak components. I have run RC-50 a few times and know some owners, everyones raves about it.

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Don't let the Cat logo blind you. The ASV running gear is great for a well defined type of enviroment. However work out side that with an ASV or CAT track skid steer and it will cost dearly. It is a very soft, smooth riding system. The problem is it is high maintainence. I have pondered an RC30 for strictly working on established yards and very tight areas. With two other wheeled machines I can be assured of not having to use it where it doesn't belong. I think as long as the user understands the limits of the system and the upkeep costs there is no problem. But to think that because CAT has a hand in it, makes it "all good" that thinking will be expensive.

10. Qualey

Qualey LawnSite Member

The ASV is not high maintenance. You tighten the tracks upon break in, change fluids on a regular basis and keep the pivot points lubed. The problem with the machines is that they allow one to get into positions a skid steer could never achieve. Underskilled operators can cause damage in these situations as they are not used to the capabilities of the loader. We have a 4810 and a 4500 and will never buy another skid steer. For what its worth, we have used these things on extreme granite slopes along the coast with loaded buckets and 3500 lb pallets and NEVER thrown a track. Same goes for winter frozen woods terrain in lot clearing jobs. Only problem I have is high cost and Southworth Milton's poor dealer service.

Matt