1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying new spreader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daren, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Well Im looking for a new spreader. Looking at Lesco, for $300.00. Will it do light top dressing's? Everyone what is your opinions? I use Lesco's Fertilizer and it would be great if it will.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You might be able to get a little sand to diperse if it was completely dried out. As for Humus or Peat products I highly doubt it.

Good Luck this season!
  3. there is some stuff that this company is coming out with now. it is like a peletized compost. the pellets are big though. i talked to a couple of peopple about this product. they said that you can either buy a special spreader for it, or you can open yours up all the way and go over the area 2 or 3 times. but i think you have to take the screen and agitator out. just what i have seen so far
  4. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

If you are talking about a walk behind spreader the Scotts is still by far the best one out there. The SR 2000 is all stainless and very accurate. If you want something to spread sand you need to look at 3 point style spreaders. Don't get the quote "wirly giggers" or cyclone style. These still will not spread sand or cinders worth a crap. Look at either the Befco pendulum style or the Vicon speaders. These speraders both have a sand and salt spout which works well on spreading sand or even wet materials. There just are not any walk behinds that are designed for that type of use although some will do a decent job.
  5. Daren

Daren LawnSite Member

Ok thanks for the replies. How much is the Scott's? I would like to stay around $300.00 if possible. I do like the fact that lesco's would be using their fertilizer at the rates on their bags. I know I would still need to calibrate it occassionaly. Also looked at the Bigfoot Plize Lawn HVO. Seen it for $389.00 today.

6. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Any links on the net to see these spreaders??
  7. Rodney Johns

Rodney Johns LawnSite Member

Scotts is up to $450 for the stainless unit. Not sure about the steel model. The reason it is so good is it never rusts out!
  8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If you are using Lesco fertilizers I would try the Lesco, calabration will be much easier. If you are using Scotts fertilizers I would have a look at the Scotts.
  9. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have been through a couple of cheapo ($125) spreaders and its not worth saving a couple of bucks since they only last a season before they corode. I finally got a Spyker and have been happy with it. The cheapest price was from http://www.greenlinedist.COM/

They were $257 and $32 for a border patrol.

10. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

The scott's spreader used to be the industry standard by which all spreaders are judged, but now it is the Lesco. And, yeah they ALSO have a stainless model around 400 bucks. Don't really see that many of the scott's models around anymore. I have a Shindaiwa spreader. I am waiting for it to wear out so I can get the Lesco. A lot of the guys here could take of leave their equipment, but I think most would agree that their spreaders are tops!