Buying new sting trimmers. What should I buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Peter120, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Peter120

Peter120 LawnSite Member

I have some old STIHLs (don't know what model) but its time to make some replacements. What brand and models do you guys use? What do you recommend and why?

2. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have been happy with the stihls. Because you have the old heads, maybe look at buying the kombi system such as the KM 100 or 130. That way you would have your old equipment that might be able to be used on the new equipment. You will have a new power head, and still have your old stuff...just a thought. Im assuming the old heads would work though, might want to ask others on here, or check with the dealer.

3. Choppin

Choppin LawnSite Senior Member

Maruyama
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. arkansas502

arkansas502 LawnSite Member

Redmax. I own their trimmers, hedge trimmers, stick edger and bowers. Never had a single problem out of them. Great customer service and a 2 year commercial warranty. All the heads have grease fittings which is a big plus.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The Husky 223L, 323L and 326L are all hard to beat, but the new FS94 is looking pretty interesting..........

6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

just avoid echo and sthil and you will be fine

7. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

If you continue to buy stihl, you might be able to swap parts if needed instead of buying new parts if and when you need a repair.

8. tom's mowers

tom's mowers LawnSite Member

Go with a good dealer that stocks plenty of parts and gives good service, check on the fleet deals, some last for a whole year and include accessories. Easy to meet the requirements.

9. LawnMan19

LawnMan19 LawnSite Gold Member

Shindaiwa t242 buy one and you'll love them, the power it has and it's weight. We won't use anything else....

10. MowersDirect

MowersDirect Sponsor

Based on what we have seen the Husqvarna models are some of the most popular. They are some of the best-selling and highest-rated string trimmers on our sister site String Trimmers Direct.