Buying new tank sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Lawns of KY, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Lawns of KY

Lawns of KY LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 GMC 1500 short bed and I am considering purchasing a 200-gallon Lesco Tank Sprayer. Will my truck be able to handle the weight when it is full of water? Also, can I fit the poly tank in the bed or do I need the space saver tank?
  2. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

My Pocket Ref. states 1 Gallon of water is 8.333 lbs. Do the math and check on your trucks payload.
  3. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

I'd talk to the Lesco guys, they deal with it on a daily basis and should know what's right for your applications and for your specific size truck.
  4. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

A local competitor uses an aftermarket airbag spring assist to run 300 gallon tanks on chevy 1500's.
  5. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

In short, no. Air bag assist helps level the load, but a 1/2 ton trucks transmission, brakes and rear end our not designed for that weight. It could be done, but it is not safe and you will be sending your truck in for repair long before it should need it.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Definitely hard on the axle.

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

I don't think you will have a problem fitting the standard 200 gal lesco into your bed - I have one (200 gal tank) and have almost 3 extra feet of space in my 8'bed. However - mine is a 2500 and as brizine said, you might need a heavier axle, suspension, and brake set up for that weight. Are you planning to do any lime apps.? If so, that may be even more of a test. Good luck.
  8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco (and others) mak a nice compact unit with curb side reel. This will fit nicely in the bed at the wheel wells forward. Leaves room for other supplies. Have you considered spraying at 1 gal per 1,000? this will double your capacity and as long as you learn it right and use the help of additives (surfacants etc) it will double your capacity. Might even be able to get away with a 100 gal, or get the 200 gal for fungicides and stuff that requires over a gallon per 1,000 and just fill to safe weight for your truck. Just a thought. When I blanket applied I bought a dedicated trailer and mounted my sprayer in it. I am going to be using a back pack this year with just a 25 gal nurse tank to refill from. Got tired of filling up 200 gallons at a pop 2 sometimes 3 times a day.