Buying New Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PORTER 05, Feb 20, 2007.

1. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys im going to buy a new trailer....just any thoughs on this brand / price ect would be great before i go and spend money on it.

open landscape trailer

NNT Trailers 6'6 X 14 with ramp door single axle with 1 foot high sides

$1,184

we are going to be putting (2) 48" W/B on it (2) 21' push mowers and fuel tanks, trimmers and blowers will be on the side....thanks for any input!!!!!!!

2. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

you may want to consider a dual axle setup.I had two singles and it just beat my equip up and just hopped all over the place.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man can you post pics of it? im looking to buy a 6x14 in Connecticut but im having no luck finding one. i only wanna spend around 1200-1500

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That price is for a new 6x12 single axle (all 14's and longer are automatically duals).
    As for used, most folks who buy a trailer end up hanging on to it forever, the few you do find are almost as high a price as new.

Then again, this guy's selling them a lot cheaper (but he's in GA):
    http://www.trailershopper.com/page-14151.html

5. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

well went with the 6X12 for $1,325....the 14 was just to big , dint need that extra room , and it was alot more money, cause the extra 2 feet came with the dual axle, and brakes...like $2,200...

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Not Really.... i have a 14 foot trailer single axle That is only 5 years old , i agree they are hard to find but they are out there. If i was to do it over again tho i certainly would get a dual axle setup. I bought a single axle at the time because at that time singles didnt have to have trailer brakes but they do now and had to have them put on mine for DOT regulations . If anyone wants i can post a pic of my single 14 footer. Also payed 1500.00 for the 14 footer new and its a damn heavy built trailer

7. GG386

GG386 LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

Just bought one today, (enclosed version) after at least 4 weeks of reseach. You get what you pay for, those entry level ones are just that.

I have no plans on buying another unit for at least 10 years, so I bit the bullet and bought the 5,200# torsion axle version, annodized cornerpost, wolmanized deck, hold downs, side door blah, blah, blah.

BTW, my 16' open trailer has really been a great piece of equipment, but as you know sometimes wheather can be an issue with the open jobbies.

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i just picked up a 2005 14foot single axle trialer, really well built, and very heavy duty.

9. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Some advise I can give you, after years of cramming our stuff onto a 6.5x12 trailer. Buy a size or two bigger than you will need. The trailer you were looking at was only 4ft longer than our old one and in my opinion, your gonna have a hard time fitting that stuff on it. Look into a 16ft open with dual axles, they tow and stop better. If there was one thing I could do over it would have been buying a dual axle trailer right off the bat. Plus the resell value is better.

10. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

Well said! I don't like shoehorning equipment on trailers. I'm selling our 14' single axle and getting a 2 axle. After 6 years it doesn't owe me a thing. Matt