Buying New Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike Felices, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

I am going to purchase a new Walker within the next 2 weeks. For my application the 20hp Kohler with a 42" GHS deck has been the main recomandation by the dealers aroung here. Does anyone else own a 20hp? Are they powerful enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Shane Woods

Shane Woods LawnSite Member

Mike,

I have a Walker with 42" deck and 16 hp, it has plenty of power for most applications. With the 20 hp you should have no trouble at all.

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 20 HP and run a 62" deck with no problems.

4. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,
    I have a Walker with a 54" Sidedischarge deck w 20HP Kolher and have plently of power. I'm sure you will have ponies to spare with only a 48" deck.
    Good luck with your new Walker!!!!!!!!!
    Mowman

5. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Thanks Guys!

6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

Congratulations on your soon to be new purchase! The only problem you'll have now is not wanting to get off of it:)
    Also, once you learn to manuver, an easy thing to learn, your customers will be impressed. Then, when they notice the quality of cut they will be thrilled. Have fun!
    p.s. Practice the handling! I find that one hand on the steering levers and one on the speed control works best...and be real careful going downhill. Do not use the steer levers to slow you down. Use the speed control.
    (I speak from experience).

7. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

you guys ever look into the scag couger,it allows you to bag or side discharge without changing any decks?

8. mwallingford

mwallingford LawnSite Member

I have a Walker 20HP with a 48" deck. I have seen nothing that gives the quality of cut that the Walker gives. You can't go wrong.

9. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

Scag costs too much, and that machine has only been out for 1 year, Walker's have been around for 20 years.

10. bababooie

bababooie LawnSite Member

you guys with walkers, does the ghs work well in the growing season when its wet/damp and tall,or does the vacuum hose clog up. and do you ever have problems electricly when its damp out. thanks for the feedback.