1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying new yard equipment - 2-cycle, EPA 2005 emissions... confused ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by camarodragon, Jul 4, 2004.

1. camarodragon

camarodragon LawnSite Member

Happy 4th of July to everyone.

I have been out of the lawn care business for about 6 years. I still have all my equipment.

Recently, a friend of mine, 26 year old, bought a house and asked for advice for buying yard equipment. I have been reading this forum for few days and things have changed for sure in this time.

I am bit confused abou the impact of 2005 EPA regulations on outdoor power equipment. Are 2-cycle engines going to become a thing of the past? Some companies like Echo have advanced 2-cycle technology where it can meet 2005 standards but then what?
    Stilh, Shindaiwa have developed 4 cycle technology that use oil/gas mixture. Other like Honda have banked on traditional 4 cycle technology. So, should the next purchase be of one of these technologies?

His house is about 10000 sq. ft. I suggested him to buy:
    - a used quality lawn mower
    - a 22.3cc Maruyama line trimmer that sells for 128 at costco.
    - an electric blower
    - an electric Karcher 1700 psi pressure washer ( that sells for 138 at costco)

Anything else that I could have suggested? Any opinion of this or 2005 EPA regulations?

2. gunner27

gunner27 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I am not an expert on this subject, but i will explain it from how i understand it. The manufactures are required to have so many "clean" products. This is where the Stihl 4-mix and others come in to play. This allows them to still produce older 2-cycle machines such as the chain saws that do not burn "clean" and still comply with EPA regulations. As far as how this will effect a homeowner buying outdoor power equipment, i don't think it will matter at all. For the landscape and green industry, it will have a much greater impact in the future. Someone may be able to explain this better than i did, but this may help a little.
  3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

no go to home depot and get a mower trimmer bhlower and power washer now and he will be able to use them 4 ever