Buying out business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GriffinLawnService, Aug 23, 2013.

1. GriffinLawnService

GriffinLawnService LawnSite Member

I have never looked in to buying any accounts from anyone but I was offered this option from a friend that is also in the business. His business is about twice my size (we are servicing about 80 regular accounts). With that said I am not sure what all is involved. He is just wanting what the accounts pay for a month on the business. Equipment he is going to discount well.

I was just wanting opinions on this, experience with this, do's and dont's.

Thanks again
  2. Durabird02

Durabird02 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

One month is really cheap! Sounds like a good deal, I would just be careful buying his old equipment, don't pay more than the stuff is worth or more than you could turn around and sell it for. Also, the deal needs to be setup that he gets paid based on the accounts that stay with you, you don't want to pay upfront for a bunch of accounts and then half of them drop you after the switch!
  3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

1 month is fair for both sides but I would shoot for 2.5.
  4. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

If the buyer can get the accounts for one month's revenue, why would he "shoot for 2.5?"
  5. JNyz

Because 2.5 weeks is less than 1 month.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, the 2.5 did not have a qualifier -- assumed you remained in the "month" domain, not "weeks."
  7. JNyz

Sorry, just thought you would understand. Always offer less, you never know. It's just like bidding landscaping jobs, you throw enough **** against the wall, something will stick.