1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying out companys to get big

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by smarino21, Jul 10, 2006.

1. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of trying to buy out some companies so grow. You guys have any word on this?
  2. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

That's how many I know have done it and works out well.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

beats advertising IMO
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I have bought out 2 residental mowing companies, one with 22 acount now equipment the other 90 accounts and equipment both have worked out great and makde monewy off the investments very quickly.
  5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

works like a charm
  6. smarino21

smarino21 LawnSite Senior Member

yea i understand what it works good but what price is too much to pay. Obviously you got the equipment cost but then you got the accounts which is the real value?

Also i like to have all the same equipment and buy from the same place so you think you could make any money selling there equpmt?
  7. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

For those of you that have bought out other biz's, how did you go about getting the ball rolling in the first place for the deal? Did you just start talking and make offers, look around for those wanting to sell, or what?
  8. abuckeye

abuckeye LawnSite Member

I started sending letters to prospects to see if I got any response. I had a couple of calls, and started talking to one person and made a deal. I did this in the fall so I gave some money up front and held the rest until spring to make sure I got the accounts. I made the final payment contingent on the numer of accounts that I kept. I only kept 10 of 24 so his final payment was much less than the agreed upon price. I also had him sign a non compete clause as well. Hope this helps.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Saves a lot of leg work and adds new markets with little effort if done correctly.
  10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

just looked around for people mowing for $20 a yard and of all the bankrupt people a piced one to offer a few peanuts to.