1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying parts online Pro's and Cons

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowpart rep, Jul 31, 2006.

1. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

I am curious. Have any of you ever bought parts on line before? Was your experience good? Which online vendor is the best? Is price, availability, or service most important? Tell me your worst expierence and your best.
  2. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I don't want to rain on your parade so don't get the wrong idea. If I lived in a remote or underserved area, I would tend to buy online or if I couldn't get what I wanted at my dealer.
    But, barring that I buy EVERYTHING I can from my dealer. There is a market for online parts so don't take me the wrong way. Heck, everything else like stereo equipment etc... I DO buy online. It's just that I need my dealer to be available for me and the only way I can insure that is to help him be profitable.
    I guess this is one of a few rare businesses that can generate a loyalty beyond price.
    Kinda like gettin good weed from only one person!:dizzy:
    Those were the daze.
  3. mowpart rep

mowpart rep Sponsor

I keep thinking that if we give great service and have the best price the business will boom. I am sure you are right. Hopefully there are enough folks in outlying areas to continue growth.I think maybe we should focus on commodity items like trimmer line, edger blades, or specialty items like arborist equipment.
  4. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

If I am buying stuff in bulk, it is great (edger blades or Fluid Film for example). Also, the only other reason is if the parts are cheaper than going to the dealer (for example some Walker parts I posted about in the WTB).
  5. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

My dealer is outrageous so I have made several orders from. www.cheapmowerparts.com
    I have always had good luck with them.
  6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have bought parts online in the past. But now I buy most of my parts from my local dealer. We usually buy alot in the Spring and he gives us a good discount. If you have a good dealer that will take care of you I believe in buying stuff from them.
  7. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I buy some parts from my dealer and some online. I've been wanting to try the Fusion blades so ordered a set the other day from a place called MowPart.com :) . I hope to see them at my door in a few days. I also bought a set of blades from my dealer.