buying seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by SKIQUATTRO, May 8, 2008.

1. SKIQUATTRO

SKIQUATTRO LawnSite Member

Where do you landscapers buy your seed?? There must be cheaper places for us homeowners to buy seed than at TrueValue and such

2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i buy it from the nursery i go to or lesco, but they are 50 pund bags, they are generally around $100 +/- depending on the mixture

3. bondlawns

bondlawns LawnSite Member

I usually buy seed from outsidepride.com. It is not overly cheap, but I think the varieties are better than what you get at the home improvement stores.

A couple of years ago I spent a few weeks looking up the varieties that were being sold. Outsidepride's mix was superior.

They usually have a very good tall fescue blend. Last year I checked the 4 varieties (Combat Extreme) in the mix and they all ranked in the top 10 in the turf trials. Drought tolerance, endophyte levels, turf quality, disease resistance etc.

The mix is doing phenomenal in my yard. My disease problems have also been greatly reduced. Last year I only sprayed fungicide once to correct a small outbreak of brown patch after I fertilized.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

In my opinion the only authority worth checking into, nationally, is the NTEP results that come out from university growing and testing at various "Ag Depts" around the country.

You can "drill down" and check out the overall 2007 results, for just about any variety of all the major warm & cool season turf species, here :

http://ntep.org/

5. bondlawns

bondlawns LawnSite Member

When I referred to looking around, I should have been more specific. When I decide to spray or plant something "look around" that means I either consult the literature or national trials. I am a university, plant pathologist and the varieties from the mix I described earlier beat all of the brands/varieties sold at the "local" home improvement stores. They beat them in the national trials, or as you like to print it NTEP

6. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

You are a "university, plant pathologist" huh ?!?
    Which university ??

I just got off Outsidepride.com
    If you're paying the prices from the website, you got absolutely soaked on the price, regardless of whatever "results" you've found from whatever "trials"...or whatever "marketing propaganda" you've read from outsidepride !

If you're ONLY using tall fescue (like you'd indicated in your previous blog), then you should have been able to find a the same blend such as this at any Lesco / Deere store in the Midwest...at ANY time...at probably 2/3 the price you paid or thereabouts !!!

7. frogman18

frogman18 LawnSite Member

I always buy my seed from the local fertilizer/farm supply.

8. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Farm supply or co-op. Maybe check with a sod company but they like to keep there supplies and information pretty tight usually.

9. jaybird24

jaybird24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Lesco here. We really have been happy with their athletic mix as our standard for new lawns. We use other mixes, but usually lesco as well.