Buying silt sock

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kandklandscape, Jan 8, 2008.

1. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

ANyone know a good supplier for silt sock? Located in PA

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Groundscapes Express, John Engwer, 508-384-7140, http://www.groundscapesexpress.com/

Tell John Bill Skerrett from ICT Organics sent you and he'll charge you double, I mean probably give you a good discount

They make them themselves and will custom any order, great product, great company

4. kandklandscape

from PA

silt sock machine

where do you get one, know of anybody who rents one?

5. ICT Bill

you mean a compost blower?
    Or are you trying to make silt socks
    I am not following you

I spoke with John he says "you tell that guy that we have the best prices he will ever find"

6. sbvfd592

you cant rent one due to the fact that they are filled with trash well silt and most of them you cut oppen and plant grass over when the project is done what are you trying to do with it??

7. kandklandscape

from PA

it is for erosion control, not familiar with silt sock at all, contractor said we need a machine? can we do it without a machine?

8. sbvfd592

give us a little more what the site like what are you trying to do??

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going into that buss , look into "soil and erosion " magazine . If he thinks you need a machine I think he,s talking silt fence not sock. Bobcats have attatchments for installing silt fencing. Or do it the old fashioned way, silt fabric stakes and haybails.

10. ICT Bill

Silt socks filled with rough compost, typically partially composted tree chippings, are used in place of silt fences around water.

Silt fences and super silt fences do not allow animals like turtles and frogs to get over them so a lot of areas around water have gone to a silt sock, they provide all of the functionality of a silt fence but animals can get over them.

they are an excellent and inexpensive way to control run off in new construction.
    Look at the groundscapes express site above, they have great examples on how to use them.
    The "sock" is made from burlap and will eventually break down so the product can be left on site and does not have to removed. The sock filled with compost filters the stops the runoff and filters the water through it.

EPA approved and in used in many areas in NY, CT, MA, ME, NH and PA