1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

buying spray rig

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmar62, Mar 17, 2013.

1. dmar62

dmar62 LawnSite Member

Should I buy a 50gal spray rig that has a electric pump and 300ft hose. It is sub $500. The guy said he has not used it in a year and a half. I will be checking it out tomorrow. What should I look for and test out. Is it still a good deal if the pump doesn't work. Can it be rebuild or clean it. This would be my first rig and I think its better than paying 4000 for right now. I also needs a spray gun. Im thinking I would buy a 100 or 150gal tank and spray gun, and come in under $1000. Also do you think the hose will be ok after sitting?

2. dmar62

dmar62 LawnSite Member

anybody can help me?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Not all pumps are equal. An RV water style pump can move thin mixes like liquid roundup, insecticide, etc, but has zero chance of keeping a fert mix agitated (if there is even a return line to the tank). Add to that the seals will soon fail from the mixes breaking them down and you basically get into a situation of disposable (expensive) pumps.

That doesn't mean you can't get a season or three out of them, depending on what you put in, how frequently and how diligent you are about fresh water rinsing when you are done (back into your tank, please). But there is a reason that lawn companies keep using gas powered engine/large diaphragm pump combinations. If it were as simple as just running electrics, we would all do that instead in a heartbeat.

For a cheap estate/homeowner style rig (and that's what you are talking about), $500 is too high for used equipment that may or may not work. Walk yourself over to NorthernTool here on the web and see if you can't find exactly what you're looking at.

Whatever you decide, make sure your plan is to move to commercial grade equipment as soon as you can if you plan on growing a business that people will expect you to perform on a timely basis without excuses of "my spray rig is broken down".

4. dmar62

dmar62 LawnSite Member

Here is what I'm looking to buy. It the 50gal electric one on this site http://stingersprayers.com/products.html#b
    I know a guy selling one used. What do you think. It has a Leeson 350 Pumptec with a capacity of 4 GPM max and up to 200 PSI. What should I watch out for when I go and view it?

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Looks nice. However...I read through a few of the specs for their pump I owned (GR252). Reminds me, for your pump remember the figures quoted are the maximums, under brand new factory conditions. 4 gpm and 200 psi. Subtract 20 percent for real world conditions. Subtract 20 percent for wear and tear over the last 18 months.
    Now...remember that you can get either 200 psi or 4 gpm...but not both at the same time. Subtract a few percent for long thin wires if you are using your truck battery, and subtract a few percent if your battery is charged to less than 12.8 volts. You are spending the big bucks for a deep cycle marine battery, right? Now remember you lose pressure and flow rate due to friction in the long skinny 3/8 hose. I would think that spraying at 1 gal per thousand sqft at 60 pounds pressure would work out well--nearly ideal for herbicide.
    Perhaps someone who has a similar rig will chime in as to their experience. I hope you have a strong arm, as the reel will give you a workout rolling up the hose. An electric reel will make a nice Christmas present next year.

My opinion, is that an extra tank is relatively cheap, so you could add or substitute a 200 gal tank. Assuming you could rig up several valves.
    http://www.ntotank.com/225gaholegta.html

6. dmar62

dmar62 LawnSite Member

So would it be a good buy for the money. I was planning on buying a new tank. But could the pump be serviced or cleaned so it works as best it can? Also how long does the electic motor usually last, and what about the hose too? What would be the ideal gpm per thousand sqft be?

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

You're looking for cracked hoses or tank leaks, underneath or on the fittings. You'll be looking for constant pressure with a working gauge when the gun is open and it would help to do a bucket timed test to see what you actual delivery per minute is. (15 seconds X4 works just fine).

I've never been a fan of rear facing reels and once you use one, you'll understand why..lol

You haven't said what you intend to spray through the rig. It DOES make a difference (as well as what's been put into it already).

8. dmar62

dmar62 LawnSite Member

I will be spraying post-m mostly right now

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, plan on rotating the reel so you can pull it off to the side. You may need to build a bracket, or perhaps mount the front edge of the reel on the fender. Maybe in the pole socket.

10. dmar62

dmar62 LawnSite Member

I bought it today. It needs some tlc but for the money it seems like a great buy. What is a pole socket? do you have pictures.