1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying Tires from Discount Tire

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMastersTx, Feb 12, 2008.

1. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

Last season while mowing a Discount Tire I asked them if they carried any tires for my Skag Turf Tiger. They did not have any on hand but said they could get them in the next day. It had been a while since I bought tires for it so I figured why not.
    What surprised me was this, the tires were low priced but they came with a warranty. Thats right, a warranty that says if anything happens to them caused by anything that they will be replaced. Also since its hard to see how many miles are on them, they said i have 5 years on each tire unless it is replaced.
    I was able last season to replaces 2 tires on my skag b/c of flats due to hangers putting holes in the side of my tires. Cost to me for replacing the tire, $7. If you have a discount tire around you, may want to look into buying a set of tires off them this season. I know I will replace the other 2 tires this season so I hope to have a lifetime supply of tires at $7 each. :clapping:
  2. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

No doubt, DT is the place to buy tires. They have warranteed tires for my trucks and trailers.
  3. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

You can even buy tires elsewhere and buy their warranty from them.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

hate to bust your bubble,,,,, all that sounds very nice,,,,,,,,UNTILL.
  5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't leave us hanging, finish your sentence...
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Discount tire is an excellent business model. Not to jack the thread but how desirable is busting tires all day long in a hot or cold garage. How is it they seem to get great qualified employees that are American citizens? I can't speak for the stores in Tx. but here in the capitol of the illegal immigrant, the shops are filled with employees that appear to be citizens that are not drunk or on crack and they hustle all day long. Discount pays them top wages, offer them lots of opportunity for advancement. They do all that and still have the best price on tires and the best warranty. That's a great business model.

Discount tire for president!! :usflag:
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm also impressed with DT. They've done wheels and tires as well as just tires for me on multiple vehicles and never any hassles. I've managed fleets of vehicles in the past and tire change time was always full of annoyances. But so far no problems with them. Definitely a better attitude and skill level than some places.

One tip. Shop their prices online first at their discount tire direct site. The local store will match that price, which is sometimes less than the normally quoted price at the brick/mortar local.

Never occured to me to buy mower tires there, but then I buy them very infrequently.
  8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I went in there a couple of weeks ago looking a new set for my F-250. I was definitely going to buy a set and had researched quite a bit over the internet. The guy gave me a great price on a set of GoodYear Pro Grade Silent Armor Wranglers. He didn't have them at the shop but would have them tomorrow.

Of course, I kindly ask him is that their best price on them. He said if I'd go ahead and order them, he'd get me a $60 rebate to boot. I paid for them right then and the next day, there they were.

They were already extremely cheap compared to the net, but the $60 off was icing on the cake.

I will definitely swing by there when it's time for tires on the ztr's.