Buying trimer this week

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leadarrows, May 22, 2003.

1. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I looked at a Stihl FS 110RX Trimmer today. Did the search and only got one hit. Apparently Brian Wilson has one. Any one have an opinion about this trimmer? It is suppose to vibrate less and use less fuel. I hate carrying a gas can and I run out of fuel long before I run out of trimming on farm sites I do. I thought it was kind of heavy but not so bad it would be a problem. The dealer I like to go to has Echo and Stihl to choose from.

2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

If you have any use for the attachments that ft the FS 85 then get the FS 110R and not the RX ! Otherwise I think if you have a deaelr you can fall back on then go for it ! I am tempted to get one ! I have been having a lot of problems with my HONDA 4 Stroke trimmers!

3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Shindaiwa T-270,
    You'll never look back.

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a look at the Echo SRM 230 & SRM 260 trimmers. I have had great luck with all the Echo products that I own. They are usually a little less expensive than Stihl products. The Echo's weigh a little less than comparable Stihl's. Less weight = less fatigue.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got a Shindaiwa T-230 For $260 before taxes.

I have nothing but GOOD to say fro this machine. ;)

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

When you get to some 3 feet tall thick weeds, you'll wish you'd bought the T270.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

1. 5% more Horsepower
    2. 17% more Torque
    3. 15% Less Vibration
    4. Low noise
    5. High fuel effiecency

My recommendation would be to get your dealer to order the KM110R. This model has the same engine but has a spilt-shaft design so you can change to a different power head in seconds.
    The 110RX has a hollow drive shaft to save weight .5lbs, but is not rated for anything other than string trimming.

Im going to be getting one soon myself.

Jimbo

8. leadarrows

from N/A

Ok went to there web site. Looks good on paper but I do have one question why the T270 when there is a T350. Is it that the extra power isn't worth caring the extra weight? 2.6 pounds might be felt after awhile I suppose. The bigger is always better bug is biting me. Has anyone tried both of these units if so what do you think.
    Jimbo The KM110R was in stock at one of the local dealers in my area. I was afraid it was kind of gimmicky. No? :confused: I would like the tiller and the chain saw attachments if the thing is any good. My old mantis is about to bite the dust I'm afraid. I will probably go get something on tuesday or no later than friday for sure I need it before next weekend. Decisions decisions. :) I will go and check out the Shindaiwa on tuesday if I get time.
    Thank you all for the replies.

9. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I can assure you the Stihl is not a gimmic. I have most of the attachments and they are great. Do you edge properties? Do you trim tall or wide hedges, do you string trim, do you trim trees?

These attachments are awesome. I would highly recommend thinking about this some more.

Jimbo

10. leadarrows

from N/A

Ok Jimbo I will take a closer look. Thanks