Buying underground copper line

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Jan 30, 2014.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Wow. What a wealth of info, Thanks. I'm definitely not set on any method in particular. Whatever is the proper way. I definitely was figuring in a transformer, I hadn't mentioned that though. I had figured 25 k, I was obviously looking at the wrong products, but it sounds like I'm still safe with that 25 k number. Hopefully it's less. so I am still working on buying this piece of land in question. We will see.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Transformers are rated in KVA you need to be looking at pad mount transformers and I would suggest a 50kva tx for two houses and a small warehouse/shop for welding etc. You would then probably need a step up inside transformer for your shop that you would mount after your meter inside your shop. I'm not saying a 25kva wouldn't do it but for the price which is not very much between the two I would go with the larger unit.

How many sqft under air and how big of a shop and intended uses are you going with?

3. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

2 houses would be just 2500 sq ft ish each. And shop, nothing huge, 3 large truck bays. Truck lift, compressor, welder etc.

4. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad it sounds good to you however it is obvious this guy is talking out his rear at this point. I've already said my piece so I will kindly unsub from this thread-you've been warned OP;)

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Aren't you the same guy that said;

"Honestly this is over my head now, thought maybe I could help but def over my paygrade here. I am assuming you're only going to trench in the new service and you'll hire the termination? Good luck sparky"
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. unkownfl

Please enlighten me... Everything I posted is clearly watered down from an engineering standpoint. I have been providing services for utility companies for the last ten years. I have certifications in URD UCD OH. I've worked almost every hurricane since Charley in FL for FPL, Progress Energy, Duke Energy, LCEC, OUC, and Winter Park Electric. I have never seen a secondary service over 500ft. I've installed and repaired almost every type of electrical cable including paper and lead primary. I've climbed wooden poles worked off baker boards, hot sticked primary off hooks. I'm not saying by any means I know everything there is about electric. I'm not Zeus. I will say there is more efficient ways of running a service for 2 homes than trying to run a 2000ft run of 500mcm copper TPLX. I'd bet if I put the super beast on it would be under 100 volts.

Here a link to almost 2 years ago I posted when I sold my business read post #8
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=380201

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You're a lineman not a narrow back, I can tell.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. unkownfl

Sort of. I push crews now. Hence why I'm on lawnsite a lot. You?

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You on here much http://powerlineman.com that's not the forum link.

I have buddies that are linemen.

I have been around though
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. unkownfl

No. I hate my job to be honest. I live out of a suit case. I don't ever want to read about the crap. I already have a ton of spec books behind my seat right now. To much contractor vs utility, union vs non union debating. I debated even posting on this thread. I just didn't want to see someone order 30k in cable to power 2 houses and a garage.

You ever seen a 2000ft run of tplx copper secondary? We have tuggers and I've pulled a run of 3 phase 15kv copper 750 kcmil manhole to manhole 600ft with a line truck and it barely got it done.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014