Buying used equipment / "Is it stolen or not?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 70marlin, Sep 8, 2012.

1. 70marlin

70marlin LawnSite Member

I'm need to purchase some replacement equipment for my mowing needs. I mow about six acres between two lawns on a weekly bases, sometime every four days “spring & fall”. Also I’d like to help out my elderly neighbors who are on limited incomes and poor health they also have the same size estates. I’m looking at zero turn mower of at least 54” but I'm leaning toward a 61” at this time I just cannot swing a purchase of new equipment, so I’m researching gently used commercial mowers, with less than 1500 hrs on it if possible. I’ve been looking on Craig’s list & E-bay mostly. There’s plenty to choose for in my price range. I’m leery of these on line sources! How can I know for sure that it’s not stolen, they don’t have titles like autos? All help would be welcomed.

Thank you
    Pat

2. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Its a personal choice. If it is stolen and you get a great deal what can you do?

3. 70marlin

70marlin LawnSite Member

BURN IN HELL! Not really the answer I was looking for. I figured you fella's would say something like this.
    1. Refer me to stolen equipment forum
    2. Have me call state police with model & serial #
    3. Tell me if I'm that worried man up and buy from dealer.
    [/LIST]

4. 70marlin

70marlin LawnSite Member

Get arrested by the police for having stolen property, go to jail, BURN IN HELL! Not really the answer I was looking for. I figured you fella's would say something like this.
    1. Refer me to stolen equipment forum
    2. Have me call state police with model & serial #
    3. Tell me if I'm that worried man up and buy from dealer.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  5. 70marlin

70marlin LawnSite Member

Sorry about double post.

6. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just use your judgement & ask questions. If seller got out of business & is hard up for money, you can get great deals. Now if guy says someone owed him money & gave him mower, then it may be stolen. If price is way below what similar mowers are going for it may be stolen. Someone that purchased it legit will try to get what it is worth or just under. If you find a mower that sells for $3500 used but someone is askin $1000-$1500, it may be stolen.

You can be charged with recieving stolen property & price is dead give away if it is to good to be true price!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I guess if its the original owner he might have a invoce he could show you.

Does the seller have the owners manual???

Did you go to their home to look ath the equiptment???

8. Nutsedge

Nutsedge LawnSite Member
    from STL, MO

Are you telling me to burn in hell?

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

That's what I thought at first, but it reads to me (now) like he was answering your "what can you do?" question...

Sounds like the following were his thoughts on what could happen if you buy and it turns out to be stolen:
    "Get arrested by the police for having stolen property, go to jail, BURN IN HELL!"

I could be wrong, but I never am.

;)

10. 70marlin

70marlin LawnSite Member

Still right Thumbs Up