1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

buying used equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ikesleeping, Jul 5, 2004.

1. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

help! Just had a conversation about a used mower and agreed on price etc. but when I asked for documentation on ownership.bill of sale,factory invoice it got real strange. Is it usual to ask for paper on the used equipment and if not how do you know if it's legit?
  2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

if it looks good WHAT is it no when iver i sell my stuff they dont ask
  3. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Come on people, use some correct English. I hope your proposals don't look this ignorant. We are trying to be professionals here. I'm tired of trying to decipher half of what is written on this forum.

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Might be a couple of things going on here, first the seller might think that you are questioning his integrity/honesty. Second, a lot of people don't hold onto to reciepts or bill of sale. If it was a homeowner, more than likely trashed the reciept as soon as the warranty was done, business owner may have the reciept filed somewhere, and if the mower is a few years old that paperwork may have been disposed of. Third, maybe the guy is a crack addict and he just stole the mower and killed the owner and raped the guy's dog, lucky you got away :D.
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I learned this one few years ago ... bought a business out .... had a Cub 54" Hydro WB with under 1000 hrs .... nice accounts ..... clean Walker n 16' trailer ... nice guy .....nice house ... He showed n gave me the original bill of sale from the local dealer which was great as I knew the dealer very good

Anyways few months later after this guy moves North I take the unit in fore service .... turns out it has a lien from the finanance company .... which was Cub Cadet ..... the dealer let me know this .... did not repo directly worked it out with Cub for me to get it at bout 1/2 of what was owed

So the lesson was ....to get the Vin n call your local dealer of that brand n see if it has a clear title if no paper work is present
  7. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude I bought a Scag 36 from a guy, he told me all about it I ran it for a few minutes and bought it, he didn't have papers, or anything. Hell with it, the warrenty won't carry over or anything anyway. It was an ebay sale, and the guy was a cop/landscaper so. But then again it could be stolen or something else, gluck.

8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

If the mower has a serial number, the original owner can usually be identified since warranty papers that are on file with the manufacturer contain the serial number. If the person selling the mower will let you see the number I would jot it down and check it out before dropping any $. Sometimes it pays to do a little investigating when buying used equipment. JMO.
  9. ikesleeping

ikesleeping LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys! If it had been a few hundred dollars I probably wouldnt have worried but when its more than a few thousand.....Any way it seems equipment worth thousands would have more paper, like a title,but I guess its common not to.Conversation got wierd when I asked for the serial number,so maybe he was a crack addict that had etc.....although killing the dog seems a bit much