Buying used mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Mar 22, 2000.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

There is a used -0- turn mower for sale in local paper. It's a 1996 Ariens w/48" cut and 16H.P. engine, good condition for $1200.00. I am starting out new in this biz within a few weeks and want to pay cash for all my start up equip. I have limited funds available. This would sure help me save some cash for buying 10 or 20 existing accounts to get started with. I don't know anything about Ariens. I just need something to get me through my first year. Providing it sounds fine and isn't too beat up, any advice on this mower? Thanks

2. You would be best served to buy one of the<br>more mainstream brands like Toro, Exmark, etc. that have parts availibility.<p>Is this machine a walk behind or rider?<p>Try going to traderonline.com there are<br>lots of used mowers to pick from in Fla.

3. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

HEY BASSMAN,THAT MOWER IS NOT COMMERCIAL QUALITY.I AM SELLING A 36&quot;SNAPPER WALK-BEHIND W/SULKY FOR THE SAME PRICE.THIS IS A GREAT MOWER TO GET YOU STARTED,FOR INFO SEND ME AN E-MAIL. MCCOYSGOTJESUS@AOL.COM<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>

4. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

a search of ebay for &quot;commercial mower&quot; and for &quot;Scag&quot; Turns up an interesting list.<p>Jungle jack, Exmark 36, Land pride?, <br>Bunton, Lesco, ZT max, John Deere. Scag 61 in 3 wheel. There is also a &quot;DEINES MARTY J&quot; 60 inch. What is that?<p><br>Frank<p>

5. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I will look for known brand name commercial grade mowers. Want Exmark Lazer HP 48 W/ Kaw 19 HP but have to go with a good used machine for first season. Thanks for posts.

6. PLM 2

PLM 2 LawnSite Member

FDew; Marty J. Wow that was a long time back! 1980's Same era as Hesston GMT. Toro Bought Hesston out and stopped manufacturing the GMT.<br>(The GMT best vacuuming mower I have ever used 20 Bushel catcher Or you could get a hydralic dumping catcher, Attachments renovator that vacummed at that same time, sprayer etc. etc. Most of the Hefty lift adds show a GMT on there lifts. I was told that the designer of the hefty lift also designed the Hesston GMT) Marty J; Chain drive, Double handle control like Hustler. Don't even think about it unless you have lots of time to repair, you can possibly find parts and you want an antique.<p>Darrell

7. fdew

fdew LawnSite Member

I'm not looking. I just ran accross the DEINES MARTY J and wondered what it was but this mower is brand new. see http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=288810087 I also found a web site for Deines mowers.<br>http://www.precisionfarmparts.com/lawn.htm<br>Interesting?<p>fdew

8. SBALD

SBALD LawnSite Member

GO TO TURF QUIP.COM PROBABLY SHOULD NOT BUY ARIENS. SPEND A LITTLE MORE FOR A BETTER MACHINE YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY