1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Buying Used WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TNLC owners, Nov 23, 2004.

1. TNLC owners

TNLC owners LawnSite Member

I am going later today to look at a used wb. I am fairly new to this stuff, especially buying used equipment. The mower is a 48in. Scag hydro, they are asking $2,800 for it. I called this morning and the dealer said that he thought it was 2-3 years old but wasn't sure and that it didn't have an hour meter on it. This wasn't much help to me. What should I look at to tell if this mower has been abused? I have no experience with a hydro mower so can you help me out with that too? Thanks for you help!
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I dunno all the ways to tell if it's abused but if it looks like heck that may be a sign.

if it looks real good, that aint a bad sign.

I always check the condition of the blades.

if they are used but not beat up, I think that could be a good sign.

good luck.

3. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

Things I don't like to see but look for :

1. Welds on deck or frame (after factory)
    2.Excessive oil residue around engine or hydro's (although alittle should be present unless it has been cleaned.. then, why has it been cleaned?)
    3. Any smoke at start up or after
    4. lack of grease fittings or broken fittings
    5. Will the Hydro's pull evenly, forward and reverse
    6. Vibration while cutting
    7. New paint(after factory)
  4. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

Listen to Grassworks advice and you will be fine. $2,800 sounds like a good price for a Hydro unit.
  5. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

It sounds like a good deal. Also check the spindles by pulling on the blades. See if there is any wear or play. Also, check to see if spindles have been replaced. That is a sign of a lot of hours.

Looking at the sides of the deck to see how much paint remains can also help. If a lot of paint is missing, chances are it has more hours on it. Also, the grips on handles might indicate some wear.

See if they will change the hydro fluid and filter for you so that you can start out fresh and get an hour meter as well thrown in.
  6. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

To bad you are so far away. I have a Exmark 48 inch hydro with a real 326hrs. on it that I would sell. It is mint.