Buying walkbehind mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by MJhnson Lawn, Feb 13, 2005.

1. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

Im just starting my lawn business, considering buying a
    scag wb, is this a good mower to start with? I'll
    be solo and doing mostly residential.

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Scag is a good choice,do you have a local dealer what model are you buying.

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Each brand of commercial equipment has its fans and detractors. What I would do is see where the local dealers are, you don't want to have to drive too far for service/parts. Before I started for myself, I had always run Bobcats, but my dealer doesn't sell them...so now I'm an Exmark guy.

4. Something D

Something D LawnSite Member
    from East TN

Just bought a SCAG WB and like it a lot. The main reason I went with a SCAG is the dealer. Turn around time on repairs and service is usually 3-4 hours. Makes a difference when your starting out and you have no other equipment to rely on. Bottom Line is the dealer makes the difference.

5. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

SWD 36" Belt driven, Kawasaki 13 HP
    used for about 1,300 dollars, and well maintained.

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

go where the service is.

7. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

I bought a new John Deere 7H 17 WB Hydro this year. Great mower and worth a look! Floating 7 iron deck! One heck of a cut! Check it out! $4500.

8. toddtt

toddtt LawnSite Member

I am looking at a toro pro line, 37 inch floating deck, 12.5 kohler engine with t-bar handle, it is reconditioned and will be ready in a week if I want it. The dealer wants $ 1795.00 for it and wont budge on price, but it is a very good dealer here that does alot with toro. Can anyone tell me if this is a decent mower and price? They said it was about 4 to 5 years old before reconditioning.
    Let me know what you think, I just have 2 22 inch push mowers now and growing
    Thanks e-mail todd@carljarl.com or post