Buying Wire

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Turf Troll, May 13, 2007.

1. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

Where do you purchase your spools of wire where do you get the best value?

I went back in the threads a couple pages but didn't find anything

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

My latest supplier seems to have taken the low road when it comes to quality wire so I'm not going to mention any names. I was talking to AJ at Florida Outdoor Lighting Distributors the other day, however, and he mentioned some very attractive prices. I can't tell you what he told me because that would just be plain old bad business practices, but I would suggest that you put them on your list of places to call. Shop around a bit. I'm sure it won't take you too long to find a good distributor. Remember, volumn is the key to better pricing.

3. Chris J

Turf Troll,
    I neglected to note that you live in Delaware. Don't forget to ask about shipping cost. This can sometimes bite you in the rear end if your not expecting it. Wire is very heavy, and is therefore expensive to ship. You might end up better off with a local supplier.

4. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

I buy wire from AJ (chuck link) at thier southern outdoor lighting dist location here in ms.

They stock Cast and other brands and the price is VERY close to what I would pay if I purchased in bulk or by the pallet. Chris is right that you must check on shipping costs. If you shop around locally or make a bulk purchase from a local dist you should be able to get pretty attractive pricing.

I only have about 5 spools at any one time and pick up more as needed. With quality wire at a good price near me it just doesnt pay for me to tie up capital in wire purchases.

I once talked about creating a buying partnership much like tri star auto parts does so we can work together as a group to make purchases with fellow contractors but no one seemed interested. Some dist offer Kichler premier discounts or AOLP discounts so thats something to consider. We save a good deal as kichler premier contractors.

5. Chris J

Billy,
    Have we met before? Have you been on any of the Kichler incentive trips in the past? If not, are you planning on going to St. Thomas with us next year?
    Look forward to meeting you. I'll be the one swinging from the palm trees with a bottle of rum tied around my neck. :laugh:

6. Pro-Scapes

Hey Chris no we have not met. I have just started using the Kichler products this past year and hope to have enough points to make the trip. If you got more than enough your welcome to share and I will buy that bottle of rum.

We frequent your neck of the woods a few times a year as my parents live in the villages (a mostly untapped area for your fla boys!). while the home value doesnt equal a target most of the homeowners are retired and fairly well off. We have seen VERY few quality lighting jobs in there with several thousand homes within 10sq miles.

If your ever out this way come on by and we can meet on the coast for some fishing.

I think we all need to plan a trip maybe to new orleans this winter and cash in on some tuna action

7. Chris J

You got it!

8. Turf Troll

Turf Troll LawnSite Member

If you all are in to fishing you might check out this http://www.cwcrab.com/

it's my neighbors and the sinker is available his website needs updating,

9. Pro-Scapes

johnson sprites in chrome witht he pink eye tab on it have produced more redfish and specks than anything for us. Live shrimp or pogies work well too. I have thought about trying crab baits but havent seen one in action yet.

Its a bit slow right now but next month the reds will start showing up in the passes and the action will pick up thru late fall. Winter time is tuna time!

10. Chris J

Just got back from an off shore trip about two weeks ago. Landed this huge 50lb black belly grouper! Talk about a fight, It was like trying to reel up a truck before he got back into the rocks.

IMG_0177.jpg