Buying ztr mower,which one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wallzwallz, Jul 22, 2001.

1. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

looking to step up to a ztr,my conditions are 10,000-25,000sq ft lawns with 2 large 150,000sq ft+ estates,most have slopes but nothing extreme. i don't bag anything now using 2 54 " wb but need bagger for spring + fall cleanups. my price range is 8-10 k. just wanted everybodys input,have looked at past threads just looking for latest word thanks

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

You have to demo them all! I will tell you this though.... I just got back from the expo.... I tried every single ztr they had there! Out of them all I thought the toro and the exmark rode nicest and had the best all around handling! The cut on these two mowers are also second to none! Any questions about my apinion on other mowers email me and ill fill you in on the details. Dont want to start a war on here! :)

3. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Evening, thought I would let you know my experience with the JD 655s (54 inch). Had 2 of them for a company I worked with for 3 months. (Started my own business last month) Here's the upside: nothing bogged them dowm. Cut many storm water holding ponds in the Tallahassee area and they performed well. Response is very good- the handling is very controlled. Cranked everytime, blades removal and regular maintence is easy (I'd recommend having the dealership loosen the blades and the oil filter first for you). The down side is serious: the belts came off easy. The blade belts are desighned for two men to reconnect them. If you are going down hill and attempt to stop depending on the slope you will not stop!!! You must put on the emergency brake to stop on some slopes. The blade hight is very innacurate! Do not depend on the factory setting to cut accurately. 3 inches ain't 3 inches. They also suck gas!

All in all they offer a net positive if you watch for the above problems. Price is around 8 grand.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if it were me id be looking at exmark,hustler,dane,and if i could find it dixie. just mine, later

5. Shane Nelson

Shane Nelson LawnSite Member

John Deere m665 60" All the way.You must go Demo it.Dont take my word, Do it yourself.Go to John Deere dealer,Demo it yourself.8,300 and its yours.You pay for watcha get.

6. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

DEMO DEMO DEMO thenDEMO SOME MORE, find out what YOU can use on your properties.

A buddie works for Deere as a meechanic and says stay away from their Zs.

AWM is right look at All of them you can.

I run a Dane myself.

Jim

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

If you live near South Windsor Ct see Scott Bliss at Lomac best
    prices in Ct.on JD

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo everything is the right choice. But Hustler is my preferred Z. Very well (or even over built) machine, and very nice and easy to control. Ride is excellant and smooth. Go check out the Hustler. But remember, please take your trailer as you will be taking one home!