By mail or phone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ince8728, Apr 2, 2005.

1. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

OK so for my clean-ups this year i sent out a letter the 1st week of march saying that I would be at peoples homes between march 26 & april 2nd 2 do clean-ups. I assumed that people would have enough brains to call if they did not want this service. I've already had 2 complaints that people did not want a c/u, should i have called 2 confirm or should i have stated in the origional letter that "If you don't wish to have this service please contact me asap, otherwise i will be at your home between the dates stated above".

- Matt
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We hardly ever perform work without expressed or written approval of the customer. In my opinion, it seems a little arrogant to inform them you will be performing unsolicited work and leave it up to them to cancel.
  3. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

i don't use contracts for lawn maintenance, so yes there is a risk there (i know). I'm not trying 2 sound like a d*ck or anything, but it's their property, all they have 2 do is make a 30 second phone call to inform me that they don't want the c/u. Imo thats not too much to ask?
  4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

If you perform work without a written agreement, you are at risk of not getting paid, but if you perform work without a verbal agreement, you're REALLY asking for it.
  5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

We always let em know were coming. :angel:
  6. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

so r u guys sayen that you always call before you go to do a c/u or landscape etc...?
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Below is what I put out in my spring letter.If they don't call they don't get a spring cleanup.

1. If you would like a spring-cleanup please contact me as soon as possible. I am now scheduling cleanups. To ensure that I will be able to fulfill your request before the heavy mowing season starts, please call me immediately.
  8. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

You are inviting problems with your technique. Sell it. Don't ambush them with a surprise service. They are going to think you are a low-life scoundrel.

If I were one of your customers, do you think I would give you a blank check on a clean-up that I never asked for? I'd think your way of doing business is very unattractive and I'd look for somebody who was a little more ethical.
  9. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

There is no way I would try to pull something like that.
    As a matter of fact, if someone performed a service without my consent, that would be the last time they ever work for me ...or anyone I know. Sending your customers a letter TELLING them you are going to provide a service that they will be charged for and expecting them to have to opt-out is just wrong. My freakin phone company just tried to pull that crap with me last month. I had a FIT!! I would have loved to be in a position to fire them.

I don't wanna tell you how to run your company or how to treat your customers but I would not do it. And I would not let you do it to me either.

10. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

calm down, this is my 1st year of doin it this way.Nxt year should I say on the letter "if you don't wish to have this service performed please contact me asap" or should I just say in the letter "I will be doing c/u's between these dates" and them follow up the letter with a phone call?