1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

by the hour or by the acre

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burninbill, Dec 13, 2002.

1. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I was wondering if most of you charge by the hour for mowing or charge by the acre? I am currently charging one set price for acre including mowing, blowing, and trimming. What do you guys think is more accurate.

Jon Walker
    cutting edge lawn and landscape
  2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

i like to give estimates by the hour, but that is just personal preference. i think we get a more accurate quote this way.
  3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I don't how big ur average lawn is, but by the sq.ft. seems more practical than by the acre. i personaly never cut a lawn by the hr unless it is a one time thing, even then I usually give them a "guesstimate".
    Cutting grass by the hour gives you no option to hustle and make more money that day. plus if you get more equipment or more help you have to change your hourly rate and customers hate hearing that their rate is going up, no matter how much you tell them your new mower will cut their lawn in half the time the old one did.
  4. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

In my head I charge by the hour. I know what we have to make per hour to meet expenses and still have a decent profit left over. The size of the property is only one aspect. It may take less time to cut an acre property that a two acre property depending on the lay of the land. A quick stroll around the property and I can usually give a price that will make us between $50-$70 per hour. Of course occasional you get burned but that has more to do with the growth rate of the grass the a miscalculation of mowing area.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I do exactly what scotts turf does. I know how much i want to make an hour, and then i figure out how long the property will take me and give the customer the price per cut.
  6. southerngent

southerngent LawnSite Member

I shoot for a dollar a minuet
  7. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I also bid a dollar a minute.Some of my larger accounts i can't do that good,but all my small ones i can.When the grass is flying i do good,i try not to get into some of the extras, such as weeding flowerbeds.It seems more lucrative for me to keep the grass flying.
  8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I bid all properties by "sq.ft." for mowing, "linear ft" for trim, edge, and backpack work.

Its important to keep track of how long each service you perform takes so you will know what your hrly production rates are going to be.

Once I have this down then its simply a matter of adding in a degree of difficulty (1-3) to set your price. If I calculate a wide open field as a "d.o.d. of 1", then I would calculate ateep hillside areas, heavily populated areas, or areas that have many obsatcles to slow you down while cutting as as "d.o.d. of 3".
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

If you go by the hour, how can you go wrong?
  10. griffin16

griffin16 LawnSite Member

Its not brain surgery, scotts turf has it figured out