By the hour or by the job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 4 seasons lawn&land, Apr 3, 2008.

1. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Do you charge by the hour or by the job to do spring cleanups? Picking up sticks, and fixing up areas messed up by the plow etc. How much do you get? thanks-Dave

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

really depends on the lawn. i have some that i can estimate how long for the clean up and then there are the yards that (a) went touched last year or (b) need extensive work do to amount of debris, those are done by the hour.

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

By the job. We figure in our head how long we think it will take then multiply that by $45 per man per hour. So for example 3 hours and 3 guys= $405

4. CrimsonLawnCare

CrimsonLawnCare LawnSite Member

ya we do by the hour as well, we give them a estimated time and will adjust it as needed :) the customer gets a fair price and we never get screwed

5. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

how much per hour?

6. CrimsonLawnCare

in IL we get about $35 a guy

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

You work cheap, we get $50 per man hour and then there is a charge for each piece of equipment used.

8. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

In order to make a fair and consistent profit and bid competitively you must know exactly what it costs to operate your business.

Asking someone else what to charge is like going to a store to buy a product and that store owner has to call another store owner to find out what he should charge.

The price of everything you buy is based on what the seller paid. Now, you are the seller, so to keep from just making a wild a$$ guess and hoping for a profit you must know your costs.

Remember, you make money with a pencil, then go do the work.

I hear people say they have a family member who will help them keep their books. Your "books" are a history lesson and you can't change any of the figures to squeeze out any more dollars. Without a plan you really won't know how much money you will put in the bank until the day, week, month or year is behind you.

Doing this isn't easy but every successful business has a plan. The best source of help is your closest Small Business Development Center.

Oldtimer
    You can't direct the wind but you can adjust the sails

9. CrimsonLawnCare

ya well, we got to stay competitive and we are a new business so cant charge top dollar :rolleyes: Over here, there are LCO mowing a 5,000 sq ft homes for five bucks a week, so you can see why my prices are probaly lower then yours, I honestly think if i went in charging $50 dollars a guy i would never get the job because there is massive amount of Illegal Immigrants running LCO's in my area, if you have any suggestions i would love to hear it.

10. schunklawn

schunklawn LawnSite Member

no question by the job...if you over bid your job and the customer took it, you are in the green and if you under bid you need to learn from the mistake and fix the way that you are pricing that particular job...pricing a job by the hour makes things very difficult and weary for both the customer and the service provider...lol its easy to see and understand...i might price a spring cleanup at $100 and another lco might price it at $35 per man per hour and make that job cost $275 for the customer just because you didn't have an accurate read on what the job really cost...just my $.02 but if you bid by the job it make invoicing and scheduling much easier and more straight forward...and by the way customers do not want you doing a basic clean up for 3 day at $35 per man per hour...basically obvious reasons for not wanting to bid jobs at an hourly rate with no price cap...

No Bunk Lawn Care