Bye Bye Dealer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Sep 23, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Ok, long story so strap in, has lots of details too (are my stories ever simple?).

So I get the mail today and in it is a statement from my dealer. It shows my current charges, and then it shows a previous balance of $97.00 (appprox).

I am like, what the heck is that from. So I go down to my dealer to find out what the balance is from. Turns out is is from an invoice of $34.00 back in May and an invoice of $63.00 from June.

Pause in the story: :sleeping:

This is where it gets confusing: :dizzy:

Those two invoices on my statement, I had a problem with them back in July with my July statement. I went to the dealer in July with my check register and receipts showing that I already paid those invoices off with two different checks.

See, the $34.00 invoice was paid off with two other invoices which had a total of $94.00 by check. While the $63.00 invoice was paid off with a $95.00 check (I ended up paying in a $31.00 credit because of their error).

So I actually had a $31.00 credit. I thought that I proved to them back then with paperwork their error and that this was solved back in July, end of story, or so I thought. In comes the September statement (which I received today) which still showed those two invoices ($34.00 and $63.00 a total of approx $97.00) as outstanding.

The story continues: ;)

I ended up talking with the owner and said, "hey, what is the problem, we had this all situated back in July, what gives."

Dealer, "No, we never had it situated. You came in with a bunch of papers throwing at me and I had no clue."

Me, "But when I left the store back in July I was under the impression that you were going to take care of your error."

Dealer, "We'll sorry, but I didn't." (real smart@ss like)

I leave, go home, I go back through my check register, this time typing out a sheet for them (the dealer) for reference saying that they (invoices) were already paid off.

I went back over there and put the sheet on his dad's desk (because the dealer was out on a service run) for him to look at to prove that everything was fine AGAIN. And hopefully everything would be taken care of. But then I get home and a phone message on the answering machine.

Dealer,"Ya, we are just going to use that $95.00 check towards the balance of $97.00 and don't worry about the $2. (remember up top, the $97.00 was taken care of with two checks, the one $95.00 and $94.00)

So I call him back up and said, "No you are wrong, that $95.00 only takes care of some of it, while the $94.00 check took care of the other, so actually I don't owe you no $2, you owe me $31.00."

Dealer, "I don't have time to be looking through no papers, and dealing with $31.00 when my shop charges $50.00 per hour."

Me, "No, you better have the time, because this is my money. I thought that we had this figured out in July."

Dealer, "No, sorry this wasn't figured out."

Me, "I gave you a piece of paper with proof showing that I paid them off, and you said that you would take care of the, are you telling me that you never took care of them after 2 months then."

Dealer, "So what, you are telling me that you have a credit then of $31.00"

Me, "Yeah"

Now, this is where I fly off the handle with what he said. Not only is he crooked for saying this but this is illegal. :angry: :angry: :realmad:

Dealer, "Well, the way I look at it, remember when you brought that blower in August to have fixed, and we never charged you for it, (because they couldn't find anything wrong with it, even though I still have problems with it) well we will just make an invoice and charge you for it. I will make it up for $31.00 so you won't have that credit." (he said real smart@ss like)

Me :angry:, "You are telling me that you are going to go back almost two months in which you told me not to worry it, I won't charge you for the blower work, but then charge me my credit that you owe me!?!? THAT IS CROOKED, AND YOU KNOW IT IS. AND YOU ARE RUNNING A CROOKED BUSINESS IF YOU DO THAT."

Well, to make a long story short, he tried to brush it all off, but I ended the conversation promptly. I will never go back there ever again!!! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Can't see how he can stay in business if he needs your 31 bucks so badly...f*** that.
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Thats one of the reasons I don't do credit at my places I buy lawn suppies/mowers. I pay for it then.
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

He sounds like a crook and thats to bad because good dealers are hard to find.
  5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Apparently, you are in the right on this matter, but even if YOU had made the mistake, I wouldn't do business with a dealer who handled it in this manner. Either the fellow is independtly wealthy, and doesn't need your business, or he is just an ass. I've owned businesses before where credit was extended, and yes, I've been shafted on more than one occasion, but if someone came in believing they had paid an account, even if I didn't think so, I'll guarantee I would give them the benefit of the doubt unless I was 110% sure I was right.

As for that way of bookkeeping, matching invoices with amounts paid, the company I work for does that, and on more than one occasion, it has caused confusion when a customer made a mistake in paying a bill, or added an extra invoice to a payment. I prefer just a running balance where any credit is deducted from the total. Neill
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thanks for the replies guys. I had to vent on here about it. My wife actually left the computer room when I was on the phone with him because of how mad I was
  7. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yup I pay when the work is done or the product taken no billing messups on either party that way. Credit usualy gets messed up and can be a pest even with an honest dealer.
  8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just keep one thing in mind.........
    Today's world is chock full of purely arrogant idiots, with the emphasis on "IDIOTS".
  9. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Ain't it the truth, I put one on my ignore list the other day.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Too bad your dealer isn't like mine. They forget to charge me for things, then I pay for them anyways.

The other day I had a credit of $319.43, when I was figuring I'd have a bill of $500-something.

It'll probably all catch up to me in the dead of February when I'm skating by on slim snow money. :)