1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

bye bye Scag!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 19, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

You all know the story about my Scag STHM that was featured in December's Turf Mag. If not I refer you to this post about it http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=31871&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
    Well I don't have it anymore so don't ask about it. I traded it to Big Nate for an early 90's John Deere 38" crank deck 5 speed w/b with a 14hp Kawasaki on it with 455 hrs and a sulky and mulch kit. Needs alittle work but is in decent shape from what I can see. That was all I did yesterday, drive up and back. Here's the JD. Better pic coming soon.
    Eric

jd on trailer.jpg

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Looks like you'll need some tires there BHB. Anyway, good luck with her.

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like it will be a lot less work then the Scag. Best of the luck on the work and let us know how it turns out.

Gravely_Man

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

looks good, clean it up a bit and some new tires and your set. congrats on your new purchase

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never seen a JD like that kinda weird they have the motor turned around

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

good luck with that deere.

I hope it works for you but I have run one of those before and I didn't like anything about it.

I suppose it's just what you get used to.

it was brand new and I wouldn't have swapped my used lesco for it if I'd have had to used it to make a living.

but I suppose mowing with a running deere beats trying it with a rusting burned out hulk so have fun.

GEO

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a 48" that is the same way

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

opps....forgot the pic

johndeere.jpg

9. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

BHB-Well looks like that Deere could use some work too but considering you said that the Scag needed alot more than what this mower has already id say good choice. Hopefully it will run well for you in the next few years till you get something newer.
    JD is still in my blood but im a Scag person now some.
    Matt

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Thanks, shouldn't take more than $75-100 at tops to get it properly running. It will really just be for very small lawns or gated areas or as a backup as in spring I should be buying a biz with a '00 eXmark TTHP 48" which will be the main mower.
    Geo - care to tell me what exactly wasn't correct about it? Mechanical problems or just not comfortable?
    walker-talker, i got your email but couldn't find the chatroom LOL. Thanks for the better pic here. How do you like/dislike it? Any problems you've run into with it? You use it much?

Thanks,
    Eric