1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bypassing a safety switch???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawnprosteveo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I am having fits with a safety switch on my Deere Quik Trak 647. It is the safety sensor on the right control arm. The mower wont start unless I hold downward pressure on the sensor and turn the key at the same time...

Is there any way to bypass this sensor? If so, how do you do it? My dealer, as are all Deere dealers in my area are NO HELP....
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Never a good idea.

The dealers (the SMART ones, anyway) won't tell you how to do it, becuase they will get fired and/or sued.

Anytime someone bypasses a safety switch, you are taking your life into your own hands. (Most of the time, the hands I see aren't that swift.)
    In effect, you are modifing your equipment in such a way that (if you read the legalese) voids your warranty.

Deal with it. You'll live longer.
  3. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

Well, if I knew how to fix this POS correctly, I would....

And if ANY of the Deere dealers were worth a ****, I would take it to them to fix...

So, I tried to fix it correctly myself today, and now the POS wont even start...

So Im stuck with only a Toro 36 to mow all my accounts with......and NOONE KNOWS HOW TO TELL ME TO FIX THIS.

Oh well, thats the story of my life.
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not familiar with that model, or I would help you more.....
  5. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

When it comes to OPC, the first order of business is replace. If you are certain this is the problem, put a new one on. OPCs are cheap mechanical switches exposed to the worse environmental conditions.

As far as removing/bypassing the switch. If someone was injured from this machine which lead to litigation, the removal of any OPC from the machine would be viewed as gross intentional negligence on your part. There is no way your lawyer could defend you and the opposing side would have a field day with it. Not worth it IMO
  6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

7. lawnprosteveo

from Tulsa

Tried to rewire the switch the correct way on my own....Never could get it to run....ended up releasing the hydro pumps, pulling it onto my trailer, and hauling it to the least PITA Deere dealer around here....
    Thanks anyways.
    Guess I shouldve stuck with Toro....