Bzzzzzt... it happened

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jun 30, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Went out on a work order yesterday and hooked up the remote to one of our 30 station controllers. When I was putting the board back in place some of the circuits must have touched the metal frame on the controller box and then... bzzzzzt... controller went blank.

Ended up having to go get a new controller to the tune of $1250. Sent the old board in to have it checked to see if it is salvageable at a decent cost.

That could have bought a LOT of pigtails, eh Peter?

Golden Oak A-Controller 6-29-07 IV-01.jpg

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch. Probably wish you had cut the power to that sucker before working on it.

3. Yeah, need another sample to put on the boss's desk?

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Makes plastic cases look better and better. A clock that can destroy itself sounds like planned obsolescence.

5. PurpHaze

Most of our controllers are hardwired (this one isn't but I've done this a thousand times) and we either don't have immediate access to the panel (locked and electricians only have access) or the circuit is not a dedicated one and shuts down an entire wing.

6. PurpHaze

LOL... Sometimes I just get tired of trying. :)

7. PurpHaze

This one is inside a storage building but most of our controllers are outside, mounted on the sides of walls. It's commercial quality and the metal cabinet is necessary to prevent vandalism.

8. Wet_Boots

Even with a metal enclosure, the thing could have been designed to not short out against the case.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose you could mount a plastic controller cabinet inside a lockable metal electrical enclosure.

10. Wet_Boots

I've had old electromechanical controllers have a power connection short against the case when pulling the panel. (they often used a single terminal strip for every connection) - one time brought a squad car to the scene, since the power spike tripped a silent burglar alarm.