1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Apr 23, 2008.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Was doing some wire troubleshooting work at one of our sites last week and opened up a valve box lid. To my surprise I was swarmed with bees that had started to build a hive in the box. Got stung twice before I could remove myself from the area.

One of our grounds workers is also a beekeeper so he came out and removed the bees so we could continue our work the next day. He got most of them and those left in the valve box were fumigated.

OUCH! :dizzy:

Pinkham Bees IV-01.jpg

Pinkham Bees IV-02.jpg

Pinkham Bees IV-03.jpg
  2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Now we know where the missing honeybees have gone!
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch!! Anybody allergic?
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I had three or four boxes filled with hives last fall when I was doing blowouts. Grrrr. Thankfully it was cool enough that they were pretty dormant and I could just scoop out the hiving with a hand trowel and continue on my way.
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

We usually get wasps in our boxes. But never to that extent of mass hive that I've seen.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I had a few wires nibbled in one box, so I put in a sticky mousetrap, and what I caught was a few bumblebees.
  7. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

holy crapola..........whats next an alligator?
  8. RainmanMN

RainmanMN LawnSite Member

I would be on the way to the emergency room after that one.

By the way, hello from MN. Finally back to work this week.

I love billable hours.
  9. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Hardest part was keeping the kids away from the area with riled up bees until they settled down and could be taken away. I had visions of some kid going into anaphylactic shock due to being allergic to bee stings. :dizzy:
  10. Without A Drought

Without A Drought LawnSite Bronze Member

i've had chipmunks, moles, mice, and the occasional snake. never bees, never that many. i'm not allergic but one of the techs are. just looking at that would have sent him running for his epi pen. (he's also the one that moisturizes all the time). i'm more accustomed to bees/wasps in outdoor timers.