1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

C&S Turf Machines

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rlclawnguy, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Rlclawnguy

Rlclawnguy LawnSite Member

Is there anyone out there who uses these? Does anyone know anything about them?
  2. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen them at the trade shows, never in the feild. I see lots of perma greens, z sprays and lesco hps, never see the C&S machines here in new england.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

the rider is a nice machine they aren't cheep from what i remember i think they have a web site
  4. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

We dont own one but I feel they are worth considering

I like the boom located in back rather than the front of the machine
  5. patterson

patterson LawnSite Member

I used the rider for over a decade. It is a great machine, but I still don't think it's worth the money.

For starters, no warranty. And believe me, it will start to have problems as soon as you hit the key.

The company has gone to a lot of stainless steel to resist corrosion which is wonderful. Unfortunately, the one part that's really hard to get clean and is impossible to keep dry is a pretty important one - the frame. The constant moisture and fertilizer eats the frame to pieces. Also, the first thing to do is move the battery to the back by the engine. The contacts will be eaten in a year and it's a bear to deal with it then.

If you take the time to open it up and clean and dry it thoroughly every day, it could last a long time, but in the real world I don't know that it's worth the price.
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think I'm with most of you. The most sold ride-ons are Permagreens. PG's are not completely up to par, but we can tweak them so they run okay for now. Still waiting for a good unit though. There has to be a unit coming down the pike that is better? Hope so. Zero-turns have issues, and others too. I think the ride-on technology is in its infancy.

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I think the biggest misconception is these machines PG's are disposable, you need to look at the way they are priced once you can look at the price and realize you paid for the machine 300 times over in a year or two then you start to realize this machine is made to be replaced,, really they all are, for 6,000 if you got a zero turn that lasted as long as a PG you would be happy and when it's beat you sell the mower for a couple grand. These machines are designed not to last all of them PG's LT Rich and so on.
  8. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i test drove a pg the other day ..was looking at a z jr also what issues do the zero turns have?me and the lesco guy threw in 2 bags of fertilizer and i could still steer it fine but i am a good size guy also.the only thing i don't like about the pg in the trans and the lack of being able to adjust the spray for different outputs.and the hose reel which is easly fixed

I don't see not being able to adjust the spray rate as a problem. your'e gonna get 50,00 out of the tank on a stock machine and if you need more volume simply get a tee-jet catalog and change the volume to as low or high as you want it to be, with a little tweaking you can get more or less volume easily. The other thing is there's really no advantage to adjusting the spray rate to much because alot of other chemicals such as fungicides and insecticides don't spray real well out of a low volume machine, these are mainly designed for weed control. I'm currently getting more out of my ultra than my magnums with the venturi kit I'm getting like 70,00 for 8 gallons.

Venturi nozzle kits are 125.00 from perma green