CA water story

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I wonder how much drip irrigation is used in CA agriculture. I think they could get more bang for the buck out there.

2. Why don't you research it and tell us what you learned?

3. Wet_Boots

I think I've learned that your discussion abilities are weak and getting weaker.

4. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Drip tape is very popular for ag

5. Wet_Boots

I remember there was a selenium pollution problem in California's central valley, from ground water pumped away from irrigated fields. The water was being pumped away because it was harmful to the roots of growing crops.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

It's the thin air.

7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Gentleman, as far as the salmon are concerned, "we have met the enemy and he is us".

If (as is claimed) 50% of the treated, potable water that goes to California's urban/ suburban areas is used for landscaping, then we have to do something to reduce that.

But that makes up only 20% of the total fresh water the state uses. By most accounts 80% goes to agriculture.

Reducing cotton and alfalfa acreage in the Central Valley is a start. Micro and drip for vineyards, citrus and orchard crops helps.

But a lot of flood irrigation is still practiced and it really makes no sense, especially in the warmest parts of the state.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I think we spend more time on conservation than AG does; flood is seen in Arizona and New Mexico, also. I've also seen impacts and pivots still running, with ice all over. :hammerhead:

10. Maybe I've just grown weary of discussing topics with people who expect you to do all the research to keep the conversation going.