Cab & Chasis Dodge.......for you?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by tthomass, Oct 22, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Anybody considering the new Dodge 3500's cab and chasis? The new Cummin's are pretty mean and with a stick shift I think they're pretty hard to beat. I wonder how long until there are 4500's +

2. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

1 ton trucks are no good for what you want to use them for. I am looking foward to there 4500-5500 though.

I have 27k trouble free miles on my cummins so far!

3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Oh I know..........thats why I said I wonder how long till we see the 4500 and 5500

I'm gonna wait and see what taxes say for this year in combination with dealers wanting things off their lots come December for their taxes as to when I purchase a truck..........who would have thought taxes could work for you??

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds pretty good to me!

New Cummins Turbo-Diesel Engine

DETROIT (Oct. 13, 2006) - After its launch at theTexas State Fair, Dodge revealed more details regarding the new 6.7L Cummins Turbo-Diesel Engine, which will be available this January on 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 / 3500 models.

The 6.7L engine's features include:

* Improved performance, reduced emissions and 350 horsepower and 650 ft.-lb. of torque at 1,500 rpm. An electronically controlled Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT), which precisely matches boost pressure with the engine's needs, enhances diesel-powered performance and provides lag-free throttle response, says Dodge. The VGT uses an electric valve, 16 fixed vanes and a sliding yoke, providing variable geometry The life-to-major engine overhaul interval is 350,000 miles.

* A six-speed 68RFE automatic transmission with Electronic Range Select (ERS) allows customers to select desired gears that match driving conditions. The transmission features a gear ratio spread of 5.16:1, and sixth gear, also known as the second overdrive gear, provides a low rpm at highway speeds to enhance fuel economy. In addition, an added compounder and two clutches provide optimal shift quality, improved quietness and durability, says Dodge.

* A factory-installed integrated exhaust brake is designed to improve control when towing heavy applications and provide added control and brake savings by transforming horsepower into braking power. The engine's VGT is capable of creating the maximum exhaust restriction through a wide range of operating speeds, says Dodge, improving braking performance at low and high engine speeds.

* The engine is B5 biodiesel-compatible and reduces particulates and nitrogen oxide (NOx) levels to comply with the 50-state 2007 heavy-duty emission standards. A next-generation water-cooled Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system decreases NOx emissions: Air is reintroduced into the intake system, keeping turbo and intercooler components clean, which increases the engine's durability. The exhaust system reduces particulate matter using a self-cleaning Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The muffler is also isolated from the emissions control system - allowing customers to remove the muffler without violating emissions compliance. The emissions system is designed for a government-certified 120,000 miles.

* A 50 percent engine noise reduction, and there's a 3 acoustic decibel (dBA) reduction in cabin sound levels. New engine mounts, a constrained-layered oil pan, an intake silencer and an engine-block shield create the quiet cabin environment, says Dodge. In addition, an over-running alternator pulley eliminates sounds generated from the diesel-engine shutdown process, and machined crankshaft counterweights contribute to quiet acceleration.

* Standard and optional towing/hauling capabilities include a Class IV hitch receiver with a seven-circuit wiring harness, a 750-amp battery, heavy-duty engine cooling, an auxiliary transmission oil cooler, and trailer-tow mirrors that provide close-up and wide-out views on both sides. Towing capability is 16,400 pounds; payload is 5,020 pounds; and the Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) and Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) are 23,000 pounds and 12,200 pounds, respectively.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

In the fall of 2007 Im leasing a brand new Ram 3500 with the new cummins. I can't wait. I have a 1500 gasser now with a 160,000 K on it and I havent really hd any problems since I bought it 130,000 k. Its gonna be a long year until I get my new truck!

Cheers
    Jeff

6. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

I priced out 1 ton trucks to my liking on each of the big 3's websites, and the dodge chassis cab came out 5-7k cheaper than ford and GM. Given, I wanted the manual tranny on the dodge and Ford, explaining why the GM was higher. So, what gives? the 6.7L cummins sounds nice.

7. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone bought one yet? I am looking pretty hard. Just curious what the verdict is on them.

8. mojob

mojob LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not sure I'd want a stick mated to the cummins. I drove my neighbor's a few times and you're constantly shifting. Granted, you start out in 2nd, but you're in 4th by the time you hit the end of the block. I'm not sure how the auto. trans works behind the cummins, but it's got to be better than the stick. IMO. I could see if you're going to be doing a lot of highway miles but if you're going to be pulling a trailer around town all day long and maybe plowing in the winter what a pain!

9. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm waiting to see what the 4500/5500 series look like/run.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Its not that bad. I typically end up in a pretty high gear around town, its nice to have power so low down. I'd start in 2nd, and go up to 4th, and typically leave it in 4th going 35mph in town. Plenty of power and your only running at around 800 rpm.

The stick really shines when your going through mountains or towing.