cab for Kobota- for eric

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by double e, Nov 20, 2000.

1. double e

double e LawnSite Member

Hey EricElm I like what you did for a cab with the JD-
    I have a Kobota 2500, they wanted $1500 for a cab. can you e-mail me and give me some ideas on how to make a cab?

Looked at your website- nice pictures!

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Thanks for visiting my site and thanks for the compliment.

Since others might want to know, I used the U shaped steel that plumbers use to hang big pipe on in factories. I bought 2 pieces and I think they were 20 or 21 feet long. I made the frame for this out this steel and bolted it to the frame front and back. I then covered the steel frame with plywood using self taping screws. I cut out window openings and put Plexiglas in the 2 sides and back and used a piece of safety shield material for the windshield. This is used around punch presses and other factory equipment for protecting workers. I'm not sure what it's called for sure or how much it costs, because one of my customers gave it to me when he heard of my project.

I only have one door in it, but the window will come out in case of an emergency. I built it so the top extends out past the windshield several inches and slopped the windshield back so it doesn't get snow on it unless it is very windy and you have wet snow. I built this close to 10 years ago in 2 short days and used it the night I got done. What a difference it makes just getting out of the wind, but the heat makes it even better. I put the canvas material over the hood of the engine and the fan from the engine pulls warm air back into the cab. At 20 degrees, you can take off your gloves, hat, and unzip your coat. It would be easy to put a regular heater core in it, since it is water cooled, but we haven't needed it.

Even in the truck, I don't keep it to warm in the truck since I dress warm in case I need to get out and move something out of the way. If you have any further questions, let me know.

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,

I also like your cab setup. In fact it has gotten me in the mode to finally make one for my old Bolens which is about the same size as your Deere. I have built it several times in my head over the years, now maybe I will do it!

Thanks

4. Banzaitoy

Banzaitoy LawnSite Member

The U-Shaped channel ERic refers to is Unistrut. You could also use an aluminum extrusion called 80/20. I've used it for varioud gov't research and production projects with much succes. (I could describe these projects but then I would have to kill you...LOL) The 80/20 bolts together has lots of accesseries and has hinges, plexiglass mounts, etc. available. They will also cut to length for a reasonable fee and shipp wihin 24 hours! If you need help drawing up plans for a CAB let me know. John

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I knew it had a name, but I couldn't think of it. There are also several brackets that you can get for Unistrut that bolt on so you can bolt a Cab Frame together. It may seem wobbly until you get the plywood or what ever you use to cover it with, attached. What I liked about this steel, it gave me some more weight for traction. If you have a light tractor, this would be good.