Cab over style trucks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by greensman, Jan 21, 2002.

1. greensman

greensman LawnSite Member

I've been looking at cab over style trucks. EX: Izuzu, Hino, GMC, and others. They turn great, no trailer, less money.

on the fence

2. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

They are very reliable for sure. More expense with insurance and plates, though. Pretty rough ride, too.

3. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

before you look into buying new these things can be bought dirt cheap used. matter of fact there's a place in texas i found that sells used fleet trucks. i found them like this. do a search for classic car trader on google. it list something like autotrader.com then you can look at heavy equipment and trucks etc. they let you search by words. i know this place had a tgcl hort truck (international) for like 12k with all the pumps and sprayers.
    sorry this post sucks but i just cant remember the details on jow i did it.

4. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Greensman,
    I agree with the advice that Greenstar gave you. I found mine in the Trucktraderonline.com. As for new, they wanted about $24-$28,000 for a new Izusu cabover with 14 foot box. I found one coming off lease from Airborne Express (fleet maintained with all service records) with only 60k miles on it for only $12,000. I put a new Imron paint job on it and everyone thinks it's brand new. Runs perfect, turbo diesel, auto, air, etc... Turning ratio is unbelievable! It has become our favorite truck being used for general utility jobs from fertilizing (great for storing fert pallets), pruning jobs, and we're adding a portable ramp system for it this season to throw a mower on it to help out our mowing crew in the heavy growth season. As for the ride, Matt said it rides hard. I would have to totally disagree, I feel the opposite. My customers always remark about it in a very positive way. We are now looking for another one with a dump body on it. Most of the scapers around hear are all changing over to them. I see them all the time in Florida for sale real CHEAP! When you go on trucktraderonline, you can do a local search or nationwide. Depends how far you want to go. Hope this helps.

Mike

5. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

We have an Isuzu NQR ('99) with a Stellar Hooklift. You can swap the bodies. This was purchased as a left over new in 2000. It is very economical and quickly becomes a favorite among the crews. Subsequently we purchased a used '97 Mitsubishi fe, with a landscaper body on it (18' flatbed with beaver tail and ramps). This is another great truck. For lawn care, the sides fold down and tanks or pallets can be loaded/unloaded with ease. Plus, its low to the ground. I love heavy trucks and equipment, but these cabovers are great economical lighter trucks. There are plenty of used ones around, just do a little bit of digging, or check with the truck dealers. If they are supplying a fleet, they probably get the trade ins.

6. Those are 250k mile trucks, very expensive repair bills.

Look at IHC they are 500k to 1 million mile trucks

You can find great used IHC lopro's for $10k

18k gvw and up.

Stay away from the 7.3 diesels make sure you get a DT.