1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cab over to haul loaders

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by LawnsRUsInc., Jan 29, 2008.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

For you guys and girls that tow with cab overs what size would you recommend? I had found a nice w 3500 6.0 gas but dont really know how well it would do with a 6k skid steer on the trailer behind it.

2. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

No one has any insight?

3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

my folks had a late 90's chevy(isuzu) 5.7L with a gvw of 14k, and it towed an enclosed trailer, but not just any trailer it was made with expanded metal side and corrugated aluminum, roof I know it sound hookey, but it was a pretty nice trailer. with two walkers, and on ocassion he'd put is JD bush hog on it. with no issues. It wouldn't win any races but it got the job done...see if you can find the gear ratio. that would make more of a difference than the engine....

4. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Thanks thats helpful i will look into it! And i was looking to haul a skid loader on the trailer for landscaping

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The 6.0 is a powerhouse. You don't hear alot of complaints from those who run them. Can you get a test drive and tow your setup?

6. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Well i found a great deal on a 6.0 npr with a 12' dump body 49k miles $16,000. But i hate to have a truck that you cant throw 3-4 yds of dirt in it and a s205 loader on a trailer. Oh and the truck i was looking at is located in Cali and i am in WI.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

I say a 1993 Mitsubishi fuso

A red and black one

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

so, SW AIR has cheap tickets. fly one way and drive back...takin some sights along the way. find out if there are any schools in the area and see if there are kids who want to move some of their stuff back home...before the end of the school year....

9. LawnsRUsInc.

from midwest

Well that would help but not sure if that would help me check the pulling lol though thats actually something i would do.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

To tow and haul that load together you're going to want a truck with a GVWR of 17,500 or more. The W3500 has a GVWR of 12,000 so it will be way overloaded with 4 yards of dirt in the back.