1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cab-over VS truck & trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mudwisr2, Feb 20, 2008.

Cab-over VS truck & trailer

1. 1 ton pickup with 16'+ trailer

13 vote(s)
  2. 3/4 ton pickup with 16'+ trailer

22 vote(s)
  3. 1/2 ton pickup with 16'+ trailer

6 vote(s)
  4. Cab-over with 16'+ landscape body

36 vote(s)
  5. 1 ton pickup with 12'+ landscape body

2 vote(s)
  1. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

Which is more efficient in your opinion? Any comments also.
  2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Although it would be easier having a cab-over with landscape body. not having to worry about the trailer and all. but were do you put debris? that means you have to have another vehicle to haul leaves away during fall clean-ups. So IMO a truck and trailer would be better. There has been quite a few times we have been mowing and someone asked us to take away a pile of sticks or a branch etc. we always have the bed of the truck to load up and still have the equipment seperate on the trailer.
  3. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

we just bit the bullet and placed an order for an 08 isuzu 14,500lb with a 22 foot landscape body on the back. We dont worry about hauling debris because we have other trucks for that. We felt this was the way to go with DOT these days cracking down, and having our h2b guys driving, eliminating a trailer should solve a lot of problems. it seems that our new crew leaders never like towing a trailer so this should solve the problem. Before we towing a 24 foot big tex open trailer behind a f350 which really probably is in the CDL class or just on the line. Now we will be totally legit and dont have to worry about training people to tow trailers.
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ny

we run a cab over and 2 dumps w enclosed trailers switching over to all cab over in the next two years its not a problem because we have other crews that do hedges trimming and as far a clean ups most go into woods but yes we have dump trucks that will take debris a way so and we do not catch much grass. so it is a personal choice of your needs. you could get a slt with a dump behind the cab but they are expensive
  5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

^^^^Basically what he said. With a separate truck and trailer you are way more versital. You can do anything you want in a pick-up, use it as a daily driver it you want. A cab-over is a ONE purpose truck and to me doesn't have enough uses to be sensible. If your not mowing the truck might be useless
  6. Raven386

from CT

better get the plows back out! i heard Friday 2-4.

well, a cab-over is fine for someone who has other vehicles and employees to drive the other truck. in that circumstance it would be great. less to worry about, no employees with trailers on the road. in my circumstance, i work with my buddy and he is talking about getting in the hardscaping now so i will be looking for help if he does. but anyways I would have to bring one truck to the site, go back home and get dump truck then go back and get the cab-over. so in the circumstance of having more than 1employee a cab-over would be a great asset.
  7. Raven386

from CT

If you had a lawn maintenance crew going, a cab-over would be perfect!
  8. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

cab over all the way. I do about 13 lawns a day and i can say that even though we have to pick up some debris, it is still very usable with debris in the front of the bed and mowers pulled in behind it. I rarely have enough debris on the truck where i can't still function for the rest of the day.
  9. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

PS i have a NPR cab over with 14' landscape body that i might sell.
  10. ACE

ACE LawnSite Member

I bought a cab over w/box at the end of last year. Its really great for just cutting. Down side fuel mileage only about 10. Next fall I may pull a small trailer just for leaves and debris.