1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Cab overs

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JoeFireman, Apr 13, 2007.

1. JoeFireman

JoeFireman LawnSite Member

I 'm looking at dumpbody cabovers with possibly 4 wheel drive and a plow. Any Ideas?

2. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

You don't have many choices if you want 4whl drive. I am pretty sure Mitsubishi is the only one that offers that. And with that you sacrifice huge on payload capability. I think maybe 1.5-2 tons payload. I may be way off on the numbers, but it isn't very good. I hear very good things about them though. I just bought a 2007 Isuzu and love it. Just have to be careful not to get into the soft stuff.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your SOL when it comes to a 4x4 COE that is heavy enough. The Mitsu only has a 14,000lb gvw so that maybe leaves you with a 5000lb payload at most.

If you want a 4x4 then your going to need to look at a conventional cab truck like a Ford Chevy or Dudge.

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT LawnSite Senior Member

i was hot and heavy about a cabover dump also but ended up buying a 5500(chevy).....much more payload for the same money and it turns better than any one ton out there

5. mini14

mini14 LawnSite Member

mitsubishi fe 180 4x4 17,900 gvw.

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I built a cabover dump in 2003 (new) best truck i ever owned. Isuzu npr hd turbo diesel, knapeheide landscaper body with knapack toolbox, 11000 lb venco hoist, snoway 9' plow.

7. Jimbo046

Jimbo046 LawnSite Member

No fe 180 in 4x4......................fg140 is the only 4x4 in america I have a 06'. fe 180 is the old FH 17,995 gvw i had a 00'. My fg has an 11' dump bed 2' I-pac and weights 9300lb. I agree you can't haul alot legally. I had a 95 dodge ram 2500 4x4 diesel and just hated to give up 4x4. I tow 10,000lbs behind the fg and it has no power! but I really like the truck and don't really mind the lack of power. What else you going to buy???? a ford dodge or chevy? They are all junk, it don't like saying it but it is true.....all americans make are big pick-ups.....Jap cap-overs and built like bigger trucks on a smaller scale. I'll be selling a 95 Izusu tiltmaster chevy w-4 what ever its called this summer if anyone is interested.

8. lawn king

I agree with you jimbo, my only complaint is power, i wish the npr had more horses. Plowing is not a problem, i run real good rubber, load it up with 3 ton of weight and im good to go.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, more ponys for over the road.......

10. lawn king

When im hauling my tractor & trailer, 5300 lbs + the stock in the body, be it plants, mulch, or fertilizer, and i hit a steep incline, i loose momentum. I have to downshift & crawl back up to speed. My npr has 175 hp, the newer models have 190 hp and direct injection, i sure could put those extra horses to work! The isuzu inline 4 is awesome on fuel though! Some of the early model cabovers have 145 hp, i dont know how they get anything done?