Cab overs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by franniedog, Jan 18, 2005.

1. franniedog

franniedog LawnSite Member

As a lawn care pro who had nothing but Dodges for 23 years,I have now gone to Iszuzu cabover.I have noticed more and more lcos in central conn. going to these trucks with the flatbed deck for equipment.Iwas wondering if this is a trend in other parts of country as well?I will be interested to hear replies

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of the bigger companies here use them. I like them for the space and versatility but i do mostly residential and it seems like a waste of time lowering and raising the bed every time I get to a house.

3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I just purchased a chevy cab over last weekend. It has a 10' dump. I was very impressed with the visibility, manuverability, and ease of maintenence.

4. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

we have 2 with 18' landscape bodies. L:eek:ve them, a few other companies have gotten them too. Actually one of our is for sale so we can buy a crew cab cabover dump. Check out the used equipment forum for details.

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have been researching different trucks this winter. Want to get away from trailers for the maintenance crews.
    Has anybody used the Sprinter. (Dodge/Freightliner) As it would only be used for mowers the payload capacity would work and the economy is great.
    Tony I will check the "for sale" page. Where are you located.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've been very much interested in them, but heard they are dogs when it comes to power? True or not?

7. SHERRILLFDLS

SHERRILLFDLS LawnSite Member

I have a Nissan UD cabover diesel with 16' landscape bed. I really like mine and it manuevers great in tight areas. I hate it when I have to pull my landscape trailer with my Ford F-250.

8. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

Mine is not a Speed demon by any stretch ...55-65 top speed (4 cyl turbo diesel) but a concern of many LCO's should be maintenance. Many of the things you might do for your ol' chevy or ford 1/2 or 3/4 are not the same. Just changing a tire is a whole new ball game. Get a flat on the inner dually , Probably have to Call a Truck wrecker ($$). I wasn't even strong enough or (heavy enough "jumping on tire bar/tool") :dizzy: ) to get the lugs off ,lol. Many other things like brakes and other routine jobs have or should be done at a qualified shop. They do have plenty of advantages mentioned though.

9. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Grassworks is right. The NPR class can be hard to work on. But the manuverability is great. My NPR will turn tighter than my wifes extended cab Silverado. Also I use a box body not a LS body. I like the security of a box and it keeps all the toys out of the weather. The pulling power is great but don't expect to drive above 65. But it will do 65 all day and night if necessary. These are very easy trucks to handle, much more manuverable than a truck trailor combo.

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not so concerned with speed, but more for power to climb some the pretty steep hills we have up here.