1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SCL, Dec 18, 2001.

1. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

I was in toward the windy city yesterday and saw several sites where they had planted a cabbage looking plant that I'm unfamiliar with. They were very pretty and still had very nice color for this time of year. Some were reddish purple and some were white. What is this stuff? Zone 5 hardiness by the way.
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

In PA you find it EVERYWHERE. Not much in Wisconsin, though.

It certainly does stand out this time of year.
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I plant kale at my accounts ussually in late october after mums have finished blooming. Kale is hardy till about January here.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Thehave both flowering cabbage ad kale. Tey are considered winter annuals and are fairy hardy. vaiable for planting here in October, and if we have a milder than usual winter, they'll make it through to spring.
  5. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you all very much. After looking it up it is a very interesting plant. You gotta love learning something new like this.
  6. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

These are also called Ornamental Cabbage and Kale. The color is in the leaves so it really isn't a flower.
  7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

We use ornamental cabbage and kale in place of pansies as winter color. If you get them in early you get nice graowth and a much better filling effect in your beds.