cable on trimmers

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Ford's Lawncare, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Ford's Lawncare

Ford's Lawncare LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I use 4 Stihl trimmers, and am a big fan of Stihl. I have always used nylon string in them. I have been recently talking around, and found that some of the other guys are using cable in thier trimmers, instead of nylon. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Dan Ford
    Ford's Lawncare

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

:nono: really bad idea, what if the cable starts to unwind and throws little steel wires at/through you. it would be like a chainsaw, oh hey look i just trimmed the fence post grass and now the fence post fell down....

seriously, you really think its a good idea:confused:

3. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of that idea myself. I do wish they made tougher line though.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

They make steel blades for them, several variations but the most common for trimming would be flail blades... The reason you don't see too many guys using them is as was already pointed out: they do wear, and when they fall apart some piece always goes flying...

5. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Not to mention balance, or trimming around something with electrical power going through it, and then you??? Not a good idea in my homble opinion..

6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen the plastic blades. I think maybe 3 or 4 blades that can be attached to the heads for trimmers. Just an adapter kit and they screw onto the head that is included. They have ridges on them much like a serrated knife. Prob best for brushcutting though. Could work for trimming as well, but I would stay clear of the steel line or cable you're referring to.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

i've seen the brush blades cut right threw a gas line to a propane tank before, damn lucky the kid didn't get blown up.

use the square shaped with kevlar string, that works real good.

8. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

It will burn up the motor really fast!

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Probably not the best idea. As someone mentioned they do make a 3-4 bladed head with nylon blades...one time against concrete and they get shorter. As far as a steel blade, that would not only tear everything up in day to day trimming, but the weight would wear you out.

10. grntmbfisher

grntmbfisher LawnSite Member
    from NH

ive used the steel blades made for trimmers and found they dont cut grass that well but will take down trees even up to 4-5" wide. ive tried putting wire in my trimmer once too but that didn't work well especially when it shot out and went flying bye me.