Cable TV Commercial Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Total.Lawn.Care, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone ever tried this? I am wondering what kind of results you get. In my area, I have seen a number of small companies (Local Restaurants, Independent Auto Care Centers, HVAC Contractors, Father and Son Plumbers, etc.) putting TV Commercials on the Local Network and Cable Channels. When I first saw them, I thought "How can they afford that?". Then a friend of mine told me that his wife has a Hair Salon and they did a Coble TV commercial, and I want to say they paid like $7 per 30 second spot. Now, I am sure they have a # of spot minimum because they help you design your script, film and produce your commercial. But he honestly said that it was not very expensive.

I am thinking about this because I do not see any LCOs on TV in our area and I might call to day to get more info.

Anyone have any experience with this? How were the results? And it does not have to be just from the Green Industry...

2. Total.Lawn.Care

Update on cost:

Called Comcast (my local cable provider) and here was the initial balpark breakdown:

6AM to Midnight rotational spots: $9-$27 per 30 spot. This depends on what network you air you Commercial on (Fox News if $27). Other more restrictive time spots availaible, like 6PM to midnight or 8AM to 5PM, things like that.

Cost to produce Commercial: no more than $500, and that would be if they sent a crew to help write, film and edit your commercial. If you did a voice narrative with a picture slide show, then it is less money.

What do you guys think? Gotta get the best exposure for your marketing/advertising dollars.

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would love for you to spend the cash and tell me what you thought. LOL! I have been thinking about local for some time now. Cable would require a national market to produce the benefits you are seeking. JMO.

4. Total.Lawn.Care

Our Cable provider has the ability insert commercials into the programming that only the local market sees. In Fact, they can even do it strickly by Zip Code, or air your spot throughout our local viewing area, with a slightly different message per zip code.

In our area, a couple of the zip code areas downtown have alot of 200-400 Year old oak trees and they are covered with leaves. So, say I had a spot running now, those zip codes could see a message for Fall/Winter Leaf Cleanups, while other Zips in the viewing area might see ads for General Lawn Care and Fert & Squirt Services.

So, just because it is on Cable, does not mean it goes to a national market. You local providers get some airtime to local spots. This might be the same in your area as well. Pay attention when you watch a cable station tonight, and you might see what I mean.

5. Team-Green L&L

Now that you mentioned it, I have noticed that. If it were me, and I had the investment funds, I'd give it a shot. Can you support doubling or maybe tripling in volume? When we began marketing real hard, that is exactly what happened and we were unprepared from that type of growth. We have setup a sophisticated sub network now because of that.

6. Total.Lawn.Care

I am ready to get out of my J O B. If I can get enough work to add about 35% to what I am already doing, I can leave the J O B. I have enough equipment to take out 2 helpers and keep the three of us busy at every site. Expanding by a few peices of equipment will not be difficult if need be. I know that if I can fill my LCO schedule with 2 1/2 to 3 full days a week, if will replace my income from my JOB and give me the opportunity to market for more business. I jsut have to find the right for of advertising to bring in the customers.

7. Team-Green L&L

Oh, you only need a 35% increase? That is not difficult. Give me a minute and I can help you gain that and some (app. 50% increase) with a simple strategy. PM me because I don't really like to post a marketing plan publicly. Oh, and it will not cost nearly that type of money.

8. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

So your cost would be between $1k and $1.5k. What do you project your ROI to be?

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno lol...

First thou, I do agree: You really DO need to find the correct form of PAID advertising. At least for me, I started using paid ads in my 2nd year and I've never went back to relying solely on word of mouth. That is because I get so many more phone calls that I can first cherry pick my customers, second I can quote whatever price and last but not least is that I don't care so I have a 'take it or leave it' attitude.
    So, I only accept the jobs I want to do, then I get PAID whatever I want for doing it.
    That, or they can find someone else and I still really don't care.
    This, at least for me, was never possible with anything except paid advertising.

The problem is, most paid advertising actually SUX when comparing money spent to ROI.
    But, the correct paid ads outperform everything including doorhangers: I find I get considerably more respect even with a newspaper ad (vs. a doorhanger), they don't all treat me like a lawnboy, or it's not as bad. That, and for the money, I can't put out enough doorhangers (or flyers) to make up for the volume (think 10 new calls/ day for weeks on end, thou 3-4 is good also).

That having been said...
    From what I've heard, TV advertising first costs a LOT of money...
    Are you sure those dollar figures such as $9 are not thousands, such as '9' thousand?). Because there's no telling if the guy you spoke to didn't mean 9,000 - 27,000 when he said 9 - 27... I don't THINK he meant millions, but...
    I just find it hard to believe that one can advertise on tv for a 20 dollar bill or so. Which, I can see it on those boring public service channels nobody ever watches, but on Fox, and through primetime...?

The other thing is, TV ads cost a lot for a reason: They tend to send a TON of volume!!! So much in fact, you need a big company to handle the Incoming (like, 10 or 20 trucks + trailers should do for starters).

That is, again, unless I missed something, maybe it's a public service station...:confused:

10. Team-Green L&L

Did I miss something? I was thinking that we were looking at a $5000 investment. It seems that production of a commercial and airtime for a significant period of time would push that bar. I would have to lean towards $10,000 and that's being generous.