1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cable vs Electric- What's it about?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by plowguy06, Jan 14, 2001.

1. plowguy06

plowguy06 LawnSite Member

through the forum, catalogs, etc, I have seen things about cable operated plows. can someone please explain what they are, how they work, etc?
  2. cwlo

cwlo LawnSite Member

In a cable operated plow, the power units angling, and raise/lower controls are connected to the joystick via a cable. The newer units have done away with the cables, and instead use electric solenoids.
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Had an OLD cable controlled MEYER lift. NON-power angle. The cable controlled the valve which lowered the plow. Push lever in and it closed valve and it touched a little black button which sent 12V to the BIG motor and pump. It was loud and really put a strain on the old battery and 35 amp alternator! It looked like todays E-60's. Anyone ever plow with this NON-power angle setup?

4. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Have plowed with non power angle. The day they ever try to sell non power angle is the day I go out of BIZ. I had non power angle on one of my 70s Fords.

5. plowguy06

6. plowguy06

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Thats the one! O to remember the good old days.

8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

had one on a mid-60s Jeep J-20. Up and down, controlled by a rod thru the firewall which activated the valve on the pump. To angle, you got out, pulled the pin, manually pivoted the plow, then re-insert the pin.

Theyve come a long way baby.
  9. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I remember my dad use to tell me "one to the left or right" and I'd have to jump out pull the pin and move it. I miss those days! lol

10. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Plowing with my old man was no fun. He had powerangle on his 1960 jeep fc150 and on his 64 j200. You guy's were lucky. LOL