Cabover Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by MWM, Jan 6, 2004.

1. MWM

MWM LawnSite Member

I have a chance to buy a cabover truck with a landscaper bed for a good price. Does anyone currently run one of these? If so how do you like it? I like the fact that no trailer is needed. It is a 2003 Isuzu NPR. It has the 5.7L gas engine, auto transmission, a/c, and a 12' bed w/ 4' beavertail.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You'd be better off w/a diesel.

But she still sounds like a sweet truck.

cabover bed.jpg

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

paponte has had one for some time. I believe he likes them

4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

from all i know who have them i have heard rants and raves. it is not my personal thing...i would rather run a regular pickup.

i would for sure go with diesel though.

5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We are slowly switching all the trucks to cab over mitsu's better milage, last longer

6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'm guessing those that use them are loading and unloading everyday? I just can't see that.

And that 4' beavertail seems like a wasted space. Don't they say not to load anything on them? Or am I wrong on that?.

Maybe I'm just missing something about these set ups.

7. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

You will not regret getting one. LOVE ours! :D We get lots of use out ot it. Hauling mowers in the summer, landscaping equipment in the winter.

mvc-544f.jpg

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am going to seriously consider on with a dump body on it next year. Turning ratio is great and I have heard they are great all around trucks.

9. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you're on the right track with the Isuzu cab-over truck idea. Depending on what you want to do. A cab-over box truck like mine might serve you better. If you do a search for "my cuttin' rig" you'll find a bunch of pictures of it. Like Gogetter said, you'll probably have to load an open bed truck every morning, and then have to unload it at the end of the day. With a box truck, you'll never have to worry about that kind of stuff. You also won't have to worry about the beavertail problem he mentioned. On top of all of that, you can still haul a tractor like the one Avery has pictured if you have a Handy Ramp system on the back of your truck. If you have any questions that I can help you with, let me know. My personal opinion is that open bed trucks are much more efficient than box trucks when used for landscaping, and box trucks like mine make much better cutting rigs. You can see more posts about this topic under the "Landscaper, or Vanscaper post in the "Truck, and Trailer" forum.

Vic