1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cactus is cool!

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by steveparrott, Apr 24, 2007.

1. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Just returned from a photo tour of the southwest - Utah, Arizona and Southern Cal. I found some great lighting design happening in the desert! I also had a chance to try out my new Canon EOS 5D - an awesome camera for landscape lighting!

Here's some samples: (more to come in our lighting gallery)

2. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Here's a couple more: (By the way, full credit will be given to the designers in the gallery.)

3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

whereabouts in So. Cal?
  4. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

San Diego area.
  5. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

"I also had a chance to try out my new Canon EOS 5D - an awesome camera for landscape lighting!"

Steve, this camera you have, do you have to be photographically literate or is it basically point and shoot. I've been hiring professionals to do my work, but I could have purchased several very high-end cameras with the amount of cash I've shelled out over the years. The pictures look really nice, but are you an experienced photographer?

Chris J
  6. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Admittedly, I am a pro photographer with about 30 yrs. experience with all types of photography. Still, with a little guidance and practice even an amateur can get great photos. Having said that, however, some photoshop skill is essential.

For example, the first shot in this thread is a composite image of two seperate photos - one exposed correclty for the sky, the other for the structure and plants. Additional retouching corrected some overexposed areas in the plants. The intention is to render a final photo that most closely approximates what the eye sees.
  7. Chris J

I do agree that photo re-touching is necessary to replicate what is actually seen in real life. If I wanted to try some of this myself, what would you recommend I do first. Classes? Trail and Error? What Type of camera would you recommend?
    As I have read on other posts, I am more on the elaborate end of things where I will spend the most money for the most expensive equipment in hopes to gain the most elegant results. Would you recommend this with photography, or would you recommend starting out with something basic until I learned the trade. (Given the fact that technology outdates itself every year with pretty much every thing else computer driven).

Thanks in advance for you guidance,
    Chris J
  8. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

I do suggest getting the best camera you can afford. I have seen a direct relationship between the price of the camera and quality of the photo. This is especially evident with nighttime photography. If you expect magazine or poster-quality nighttime photos you'll need to spend at least $1,500.

You can, however, get a $4,000 camera and still get terrible photos. Certainly, some education is required. Many camera stores offer digital photography seminars. I also offer Landscape lighting photo seminars and you can PM me to find out more about those.

The key technical skill set is to learn how to manually control shutter speed and aperature. Also, how to shoot under the difficult nighttime conditions. And, how to work with the images in PhotoShop. You may want to contract out the PhotoShop work.

The key artistic skills are basic framing, perspective, composition and so on. It's good to have someone with a good eye critique your photos.

As for specific equipment reccomendations, I've posted two wish lists on www.bhphotovideo.com. On their home page, in the upper right corner, click 'Wish Lists". Then in the public wish list search box, put First Name: Steve; Last Name: Parrott. The two landscape lighting lists will come up. The 'A' list (my old kit) is under $2,000. The 'B' list (my current kit) is under $4,000.
  9. Chris J

Thanks for the info Steve. If I can ever get caught up on my installations, I just may take you up on your workshop.

Chris J
  10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey steve how about one of your great articles on photoshopping pics :)